Should I wait???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Post Reply

Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Should I wait???

Post by kiwiindaus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Been waiting for my last LOR to be mailed/processed since the end of November, I finally expect it to be in early next week. I have my heart set on Harvard or Yale, would it be a better idea to wait till next admissions cycle and apply September 1st? Or just go ahead and submit the apps in the last week of January.

LSAT 175, GPA 3.8,
also if it counts for anything I am a New Zealand citizen (holding a US green card)



Posts: 1118
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Should I wait???

Post by ATR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27 pm

If money and time aren't huge considerations, I say submit ASAP but plan on getting neither. Apply September 1 if this happens.

User avatar

Posts: 5036
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Should I wait???

Post by northwood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 pm

send it in now to see how it goes, but if you want your best chance at good scholarship money wait until next cycle. You have very competitive numbers for any school. The earlier you apply and go complete, the better your chances are at getting money offered to you. Since it took so long to get that letter processed, and its the end of january, I would say wait until next year.


Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Should I wait???

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Sending now for Yale is not going to diminish your chances much but it's a bit late for Harvard. I definitely would recommend waiting till next year because your numbers are competitive to get $$ at a lot of places if you applied early.


Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Should I wait???

Post by Heat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:36 am

As the previous posters said it seems more likely to have an impact on how much money is offered to you than impact your acceptance.

Though to be honest even if you don't get money based on being a late applicant you'd have to consider the potential lost income coming out of a school like that. Assuming your aiming for big law and are successful (assumptions keep in mind) your looking at a lot of lost income by taking a year off if you don't have a decent backup plan. Food for thought anyway.


Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Should I wait???

Post by notanumber » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:42 am

Neither Harvard nor Yale give out merit scholarship money. Your chances at Harvard are a diminished, but you lose nothing more than the application fee by submitting to those two schools (and Stanford, for that matter) this cycle.

If your heart is set on Harvard or Yale, only apply to those schools and cast the net wider next year if things don't work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”