Applying to about 20 schools-credit card charges Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jetsfan

New

Applying to about 20 schools-credit card charges

Post by jetsfan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 am

I was wondering if it was possible to apply to a bunch of schools and have the credit card charged only once for all of the applications as opposed to being charged twenty different times. Is this possible? And is it automatic, or do I have to do something to have all the charges combined into one?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Applying to about 20 schools-credit card charges

Post by kalvano » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:42 am

Not that I recall. And what does it matter?

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:43 am

Don't checkout until you have all 20 schools in your LSAC cart.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 am

I haven't actually looked at my credit card statement, but if you complete all 20 applications, and then checkout, I'm presuming it will only show up as one charge.

But yeah... why on earth does it matter.

jetsfan

New

Post by jetsfan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks. It might not matter, but sometimes when I make a lot of purchases at once on my credit card (especially if they are all for the same amount) the credit card company puts a fraud alert on the card, and I don't want to have to deal with that while I'm submitting apps. (when this has happened in the past, I couldn't just call and resolve the problem, they made me wait for the fraud department to call me, which can sometimes take a full day)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 am

The Gentleman wrote:Don't checkout until you have all 20 schools in your LSAC cart.

Damn! I wish I would have thought about this before...lol I applied to 21 schools, mainly on 2 days... I could have only entered that info once. Oh well.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:53 am

jetsfan wrote:Thanks. It might not matter, but sometimes when I make a lot of purchases at once on my credit card (especially if they are all for the same amount) the credit card company puts a fraud alert on the card, and I don't want to have to deal with that while I'm submitting apps. (when this has happened in the past, I couldn't just call and resolve the problem, they made me wait for the fraud department to call me, which can sometimes take a full day)
Citigroup? I have a friend who had credit cards through them - he had to fire them and move to Chase because of crap like that.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:28 pm

jetsfan wrote:Thanks. It might not matter, but sometimes when I make a lot of purchases at once on my credit card (especially if they are all for the same amount) the credit card company puts a fraud alert on the card, and I don't want to have to deal with that while I'm submitting apps. (when this has happened in the past, I couldn't just call and resolve the problem, they made me wait for the fraud department to call me, which can sometimes take a full day)
As others have said, just checkout with all 20 schools' apps in your cart. It should just be one big charge.

Otherwise, can you preemptively call the credit card company and warn them you will be making X charges on Y day and not to put a fraud alert on your account?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:23 pm

txadv11 wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:Don't checkout until you have all 20 schools in your LSAC cart.

Damn! I wish I would have thought about this before...lol I applied to 21 schools, mainly on 2 days... I could have only entered that info once. Oh well.
I can't believe I didn't think of this either! I think I was too set after each submitted app on getting it all squared away immediately...I did get to the point where I was at least pasting my ccn rather than typing it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:55 pm

FYI: LSAC places a limit on the number of items you can have in your cart. CRS fee waivers count as items (though obviously you're not charged). Max number of items is 22 or 24 I believe. You will have to checkout twice with 20 schools. (App fee/waiver+report fee=2 items per school).

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Post by OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:18 pm

If you are so worried about it (which I don't think you have any real reason to be), why don't you just give your friendly mom-and-pop creditor a call and let them know your circumstances? In other words, tell them not to place a fraud alert on your card or deny any of the charges to LSAC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”