1L at American WCL, avoiding studying, taking Qs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
things fall apart

Bronze

Re: 1L at American WCL, avoiding studying, taking Qs

Post by things fall apart » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:01 am

How connected is the school to the city?

I am not familiar with the area whatsoever so how and how long does one take to get into the city? In terms of activities what is the divide between local options and traveling(also where are the areas)?
Im used to public transport so I don't mind that and I'm not a stickler on safety if you get more action and transportation?

Also does the school interact with DC(i.e. sponsor events in DC, go to fed buildings) or is it merely a school that happens to be close to DC but really sticks to the suburb it is in?

Also just a few notes on the student body? You said they are social, I am just curious about the "vibe" :lol: of the student body as well. Older? younger? few years WE? a lotta kids living off mommy/daddy still? Social? Athletic? Im pretty open to all types of people but this is more of just wondering on this one

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:00 am

Hi its me again.

Do you have anything to contribute to the programs and placement for Public Interest/Enviromental/Internaitonal Law and the sorts that aren't "160k biglaw".

They seem to have pretty strong programs and attract students for that reason. Do students who choose this route place well, and how would you say the clinics/classes/programs are or appear to be(seeing as youre a 1L)

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 pm

I know I dropped off there for a while, but if you're still interested::

How connected is the school to the city?
--i'm not sure if you mean...in terms of proximity or social connections. If you mean location, WCL is still technically in DC but it is not in a city part by any means. It is suburban. there is a strip mall of a couple restaurants and cvs, a starbucks, a supermarket and that's essentially it. There are several bus routes that run to the school, but a lot of people I think end up on the metro. The metro comes out in a place where you have to take a shuttle that runs 10-15 minutes and takes about 15 min. to get to campus. I'd say that for my 9:00, I would leave 30-40 minutes for the metro+shuttle ride. once you're on the metro the stops don't take long so it's really just the shuttle that I find to be the variable. They're slightly unreliable in my experience, so if you have a solid bus route that runs through your area that would probably be your mode of transportation. If you meant business/network connections I'm fairly ignorant on how AU does on all that, I hear good things, as in, that we are as well-respected as georgetown or GWU but I'm not sure if it's hype.

I am not familiar with the area whatsoever so how and how long does one take to get into the city? In terms of activities what is the divide between local options and traveling(also where are the areas)? If you're good about getting on the shuttle at its timed departure{which I should note, I am not}, getting downtown should you less than an hour.
Im used to public transport so I don't mind that and I'm not a stickler on safety if you get more action and transportation?
--Solid areas to live in for nightlife/action I'd say would be adams morgan, maybe more downtown would be like dupont area but that gets pricey. Friendship heights is very closeby, theres a bus and it's semi-busy, mostly with shopping opportunities, I’m less sure if ‘nightlife’ is really accurrate. Bethesda has a lot of little restaurants too, actually, and while it’s semi-suburban, I think it has a lot going on for itself if you aren’t far from the metro. Silver Spring is far on the redline which the tenleytown stop is on, is supposed to be pretty cheap and I've driven through it, it kind of seemed 'active', might want to look into that area ; although I don't know anyone who's moved there, the eastern market area is supposed to be an area with a lot of young people, up and coming, lot of restaurants and such, but is a little far out there location wise , but it is closer to the capitol.
Also does the school interact with DC(i.e. sponsor events in DC, go to fed buildings) or is it merely a school that happens to be close to DC but really sticks to the suburb it is in?

Also just a few notes on the student body? You said they are social, I am just curious about the "vibe" of the student body as well. Older? younger? few years WE? a lotta kids living off mommy/daddy still? Social? Athletic? Im pretty open to all types of people but this is more of just wondering on this one
--I'd say my section is mostly a crowd in their twenties, but I haven’t been aware of anyone straight out of undergrad. I’ve met more people out of school for 2+ years; people I'd estimate look like they've been out a year are actually sometimes 26 or 28. I would say maybe two seem to be upper thirties; I know there's a forty or fiftyish yr old in a different section but whether they feel out of place I'm not sure; there is a nightlife (read: bar review) that people like to attend, I think a lot of people bonded that way early on. There are a lot of talks, events, and organizations you can become a part of and really delve further into your interests; there are several journals you can be a part of your first semester (one on human rights, for one). While I don’t recommend overdoing the extracurriculars the first semester (there’s time for that later on), I do think it’s nice to start heading your resume in the direction you want to take your legal career

Public interest::
I would say maybe 15-20% of people in my section indicated an interest in firm work. International law, human rights law is a big deal at WCL; also, clinics are ranked one of the top in the nation (Wikipedia says USNWR said #2, it’s for sure top 5). I have heard mixed reviews of externships, which are internships with credit and a class attached to it, available in summer or spring/fall semesters. It’s a fairly incomplete picture I’m giving you but I’m still learning myself. Hope it helps

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”