JR1 (HLS phone interview) PLS HELP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ckdgusdl88

New

JR1 (HLS phone interview) PLS HELP

Post by ckdgusdl88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

I have received a phone interview offer within 2 weeks of submitting my application. I wasn't expecting an interview so soon, so I am freaking out as to how to prepare for the interview.
JR interviews around 1000~1200 a year, which means that about 170~370 of those still do not get in.
I would NOT like to be one of those 150~350.

What questions are asked?
Any special characteristics that JR looks for?
What is the interview like?
Any special tips?

If you prefer not to give too much details here, please PM me.
Thank you VERY VERY much.

The Stig

Silver

Re: JR1 (HLS phone interview) PLS HELP

Post by The Stig » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:57 pm

I know you probably don't want to look through 29 pages, and have probably already seen the thread, but Harvard 2011 Applicants thread has lots of info on the JR1

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Typically he asks:
Why law school?
Why Harvard?
Do you have any questions?

I would write out a few things beforehand, but don't over-rehearse. Your answers should make sense in the context of your resume/background. It may seem fake if you say you are interested in, for example, environmental law if you were a history major and have never had any involvement in an environmental organzation. Try not to panic. I think the interview is like the LSAT writing sample - if you take it seriously, you can't blow it. The people who have JR1s but not JR2s did not necessarily do poorly in the JR1 - there is just not enough spots for all of the qualified candidates.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:39 pm

sarahh wrote:Typically he asks:
Why law school?
Why Harvard?
Do you have any questions?
This.

Also, print your resume/PS/application and just make sure you can speak to everything.

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:15 am

What everyone else has posted is really good-for phone interviews (or interviews in general) I think it is especially important to not necessarily memorize answers to the questions, but to say them aloud to a friend. It can really help you focus your answers and ensure they are clear. You definitely don't want the first time you take your thoughts from paper to speech to be in the interview itself!

Good luck on the JR1!!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:23 am

ckdgusdl88 wrote:I have received a phone interview offer within 2 weeks of submitting my application. I wasn't expecting an interview so soon, so I am freaking out as to how to prepare for the interview.
JR interviews around 1000~1200 a year, which means that about 170~370 of those still do not get in.
I would NOT like to be one of those 150~350.

What questions are asked?
Any special characteristics that JR looks for?
What is the interview like?
Any special tips?

If you prefer not to give too much details here, please PM me.
Thank you VERY VERY much.
lol why the change in the JR1/no JR2 numbers?

also, is JR doing it differently this yr? i remember last yr his email listed out the questions he'd ask...

...the interview is very chill; he's an extremely nice person. know the questions and have answers to them, and be human. thats it. know your resume as well. it lasts 5-10min and will be done before you know it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”