Resume Q - undergrad leadership as Work Exp. or Activities? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sgtgrumbles

Silver

Resume Q - undergrad leadership as Work Exp. or Activities?

Post by sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:52 pm

I have a question about my resume: for undergrad leadership positions such as editor at student publication, leadership position in campus organization, etc., should I list these under Work Experience or Activities? On my professional resume I always put them under Experience, but I don't know what the protocol is for LS resumes. I'm inclined to put them under Work Experience because I'll have something listed for pretty much every month I was in undergrad that way. If I put them under Activities, do I describe them? Add bullet points?

If someone would PM me with a resume sample I'd really appreciate it. I just want to see what it should look like for someone with only one or two years of WE. This should be the easiest part of my app, but it's been quite the headache.

TIA

JJDancer

Gold

Re: Resume Q - undergrad leadership as Work Exp. or Activities?

Post by JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:07 pm

I have work experience as a section
I'm out of UG but don't have a "real job" under there, just PT stuff and internships

Then I have a leadership section where I highlight 2 orgs I was/am incharge of (2-3 bullets each)

Then I have an activities section where I list 4 volunteer/extracurrics i was a part of
Some of them I have 1 bullet for (like one where I was just a member but was in charge of organizing and executing a fundraiser)
Others I just put the name of the activity and the months/years I participated

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Re: Resume Q - undergrad leadership as Work Exp. or Activities?

Post by sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:55 pm

That sounds like what I'll do, just want to get a second opinion before I proceed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”