LSAC GPA appeals possible? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bytynb

New

LSAC GPA appeals possible?

Post by bytynb » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 pm

I originally took the LSATs in 1973. I've seen references to an "old" scoring system of two digits. Well, the really old scoring system was similar to the 200-800 of the SATs. I scored a 728, comparable to a 173 today. Unfortunately, I was also a total fvckup and was busy torpedoing my UG record. I failed to even graduate so my good LSAT was moot. My stupidity and immaturity gnawed at me over the years. I retired from civil service mgmt last summer and decided to get my degree. I returned to my original college needing 21 credits, the last 3 of which I'm currently taking. I've also had in the back of my head the idea that if I could duplicate my youthful score, a bottom tier law school might grant me a full scholarship. Obviously at my age it would be foolish to make the 100k investment. But if I could go very cheaply, it might make sense. I have a lawyer son working in a 2 man partnership whom I could join and hopefully be somewhat useful.

I just took the Oct LSAT and am hopeful for a mid-high 160s score. The LGs are a big problem for me; there was no such animal in '73 and no prep industry. you just showed up and they tested how well your brain worked. I have my theories about why they changed to the present setup, but that's a topic for another day. My big problem is my UG record. I've pulled a 4.0 through my 18 credits in the last year. That, and my college's granting of "academic amnesty", will pull my wretched record up to a 2.5 GPA. I've been trying to talk the school into giving my some kind of split GPA, showing my overall/21st C. But from what I've been reading here and elsewhere, none of that will matter with the LSAC. They'll pull all those 40 yr old flunks back in, and I'll end up with a 2.0, effectively scuttling any LS plans.

So after all that, here's my question. Is there any kind of appeal process to the LSAC that I could try? Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for plowing through this and any help you can offer.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Re: LSAC GPA appeals possible?

Post by Mroberts3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 pm

I'm not nearly the most useful poster here, but some thoughts:

LSAC probably won't change anything. That said, a 2.5 isn't bad if you are looking for $$ at a lower ranked school (presumably nearby?). If you can get a really good LSAT score, someone will give you money. I'm not saying its guaranteed, but if your goal is free law school a killer LSAT will mean a lot more than somehow pretty pleasing your way from a 2.5 to a 3.0. Even though schools care a lot about rankings and GPA/LSAT combo, I'm sure that the time you have put between your past GPA will be noted. Sure, it won't make a difference at Yale, but a lot of schools will take your 2.5 over the 2.5 (or probably even up to 3.0) of some 23yo with no work experience.

Also, you have a lot more material and substantive life experience to draw from when writing a personal statement. Make the best app you can and let the schools decided what to do with your GPA -- it can't be changed.

URMdan

Bronze

Re: LSAC GPA appeals possible?

Post by URMdan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:55 pm

This is certainly addendum worthy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”