My chances of getting into GW early admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lady_In_Red

New

My chances of getting into GW early admission?

Post by Lady_In_Red » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:58 pm

My LSAT's not great--160. That being said, my UGPA is 4.0 and I'm a URM. Could I get admitted to GW early with my current numbers? Or should I take the LSAT again in Oct?

Always Credited

Gold

Re: My chances of getting into GW early admission?

Post by Always Credited » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Lady_In_Red wrote:My LSAT's not great--160. That being said, my UGPA is 4.0 and I'm a URM. Could I get admitted to GW early with my current numbers? Or should I take the LSAT again in Oct?
Apply, and if you feel that you didn't reach your full potential on the test, surely take it again.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 pm

What kind of URM?

Lady_In_Red

New

Post by Lady_In_Red » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Black female

lawschool2014

New

Post by lawschool2014 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Yea you have a decent shot w/o $$$. Good luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:38 pm

GW's early admissions program is different than most in that they only consider you for a full tuition scholarship or just put you into the regular admission pool. The standards for the scholarships are ususally well above GW's medians for both LSAT and GPA. That being said you might be given "extra credit" for showing extra interest in applying through the binding ED method and although the odds are against you, you might just get a full tuition scholarship.

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

You could do a lot better than GW, being AA with those numbers

FromRussiaWithLove

New

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 am

I don't know from personal experience how significantly URM status affects GW's ED admission. The LSAT numbers for the EDers average around 168 based on people I have spoken with and LSN. GPA looks good so take a shot but if you feel you can do better on the LSAT I would not hesitate to retake. I waited a year in order to retake and I was much happier with the second application cycle's outcome. If you can retake without sitting out a year I would do it in a heartbeat.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:16 am

vespertiliovir wrote:You could do a lot better than GW, being AA with those numbers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FromRussiaWithLove

New

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 am

vespertiliovir wrote:You could do a lot better than GW, being AA with those numbers
For people that are looking to stay out of debt and don't have parents footing the bill, not too many schools ranked higher than gw offer a guaranteed full tuition scholarship. Depends on the op's priorities. Is getting into a lower t14 with small/no money better than full tuition gw? Personal decision

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:23 am

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:For people that are looking to stay out of debt and don't have parents footing the bill, not too many schools ranked higher than gw offer a guaranteed full tuition scholarship. Depends on the op's priorities. Is getting into a lower t14 with small/no money better than full tuition gw? Personal decision
OP could probably get a full scholarship at at least lower half of t14. This person got $$$$ at NYU with almost identical numbers.

FromRussiaWithLove

New

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:37 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:
FromRussiaWithLove wrote:For people that are looking to stay out of debt and don't have parents footing the bill, not too many schools ranked higher than gw offer a guaranteed full tuition scholarship. Depends on the op's priorities. Is getting into a lower t14 with small/no money better than full tuition gw? Personal decision
OP could probably get a full scholarship at at least lower half of t14. This person got $$$$ at NYU with almost identical numbers.
With a 160 LSAT? I guess I just had no idea how much URM figures into it. I'm just an ignorant white boy.

With a 161 I got denied from even the top 30 schools and my GPA was 4. After retake I went for the GW ED because I didn't want to borrow for tuition. I just didn't think it was likely to get full scholarship from T14 with an LSAT in the 160s and GW offered many opportunities for me to explore IP. To each their own I guess.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:With a 160 LSAT? I guess I just had no idea how much URM figures into it. I'm just an ignorant white boy.
Without making this devolve into a "omg urm is soooooooo [whatever]" thread, the URM boost makes a HUGE difference.

That said, OP you should cast a very wide net, since URM cycles are extremely difficult to predict. Ask for fee waivers anywhere you aren't offered them -- worst they can say is "no." I can't say where you'll get in and with what kind of money, but with those numbers you will end up at a great law school. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

servinDizzert

New

Post by servinDizzert » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:

WTTFFFFFF....140k with those numbers... :roll:

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Black female with a 4.0? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease re-take the LSAT. I'm looking out for your best interest here.

Lady_In_Red

New

Post by Lady_In_Red » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Yeah I think I'm gonna end up retaking in Oct. My question is how much does taking a prep course help vs. self-study? For June LSAT I did self-study but I felt really burnt-out and like I gone as far as I could on my own. But, I also only studied for like 4 wks. Since I have like 8 weeks before Oct, should I try another round of self-study or should I cough up the cash for a course?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Lady_In_Red wrote:Yeah I think I'm gonna end up retaking in Oct. My question is how much does taking a prep course help vs. self-study? For June LSAT I did self-study but I felt really burnt-out and like I gone as far as I could on my own. But, I also only studied for like 4 wks. Since I have like 8 weeks before Oct, should I try another round of self-study or should I cough up the cash for a course?
I was given a powerscore online course, took it, and did exactly the same on the lsat as I'd done on my first diagnostic. I retook 1.5 months later and went up 12 points. but to each their own.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”