Criminal History Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
superhands

New

Criminal History Question

Post by superhands » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:43 pm

I have been on the other side of the law on several occasions in my life. When I was 16 I was caught doing doughtnuts in an abandonded parking lot. I was charged with a wreckless operation, but the final disposition of the matter was Nolle Prossed. At age 18 I was charged with possession of marijuana, a midemeanor, but it had it reduced to a violation. At 19 I was charged with a violation for unlawful consumption of alcohol. Finallly, at 20, I was cought with simple marijunana possession once again. I was charged with a felony, but had it reduced to a misdemeanor.

It seems that the common consensus on this forum is that it is best to disclose everything with regard to your criminal history on your application. However, what is a particular school only wants to know about misdemeanor or felony convictions? In such a case should I include everything in my addendum for that particular school, or should I only disclose what they have specifically asked me to disclose?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Criminal History Question

Post by Knock » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:11 pm

superhands wrote:I have been on the other side of the law on several occasions in my life. When I was 16 I was caught doing doughtnuts in an abandonded parking lot. I was charged with a wreckless operation, but the final disposition of the matter was Nolle Prossed. At age 18 I was charged with possession of marijuana, a midemeanor, but it had it reduced to a violation. At 19 I was charged with a violation for unlawful consumption of alcohol. Finallly, at 20, I was cought with simple marijunana possession once again. I was charged with a felony, but had it reduced to a misdemeanor.

It seems that the common consensus on this forum is that it is best to disclose everything with regard to your criminal history on your application. However, what is a particular school only wants to know about misdemeanor or felony convictions? In such a case should I include everything in my addendum for that particular school, or should I only disclose what they have specifically asked me to disclose?
Only disclose what they ask you to disclose, but be very careful you're interpreting the language correctly.

Also, if you live in a state with a medical marijuana program, go get your recommendation (i'm guessing you don't, since i'm sure you would have when you get in trouble if you could have).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”