applying to Duke without TOEFL Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xqhp82

Bronze

applying to Duke without TOEFL

Post by xqhp82 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:12 pm

So I just found out that Duke requires all international applicants who don't study in the US to submit their TOEFL scores...I have been educated in english-instructed schools for the past 10 years or so and doing my bachelors in the UK. I saw that all T-14 schools do not require TOEFL so i was a bit surprised by Duke. I don't want to take TOEFL just for Duke but I was planning to apply there...did anyone apply without taking TOEFL?

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: applying to Duke without TOEFL

Post by LLB2JD » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 pm

xqhp82 wrote:So I just found out that Duke requires all international applicants who don't study in the US to submit their TOEFL scores...I have been educated in english-instructed schools for the past 10 years or so and doing my bachelors in the UK. I saw that all T-14 schools do not require TOEFL so i was a bit surprised by Duke. I don't want to take TOEFL just for Duke but I was planning to apply there...did anyone apply without taking TOEFL?
i was planning on applying to Duke as well. It is actually one of my top choices. TOEFL is generally reserved for folks going for the LLM. For JD candidates, if you do sufficiently well on the LSAT to get into a school, it is presumed you have the requisite English skills to be successful.

What link did you find this information? I go school in the UK as well.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Here's what they say on the website:

If applicable, please indicate the dates you took or will take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). You must take the TOEFL if your first language is not English AND your undergraduate degree was obtained outside the United States. Submit a copy of your most recent TOEFL report directly to our office; do not submit via LSAC or request an original from ETS. International applicants with graduate degrees in the U. S. are not eligible for TOEFL waivers.

http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/apply/jd/ ... structions

it's also one of my top choices as well, was planning to go for their priority track, i hope they'd accept no toefl...

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”