Advice/Please read my addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dabbadon8

Silver

Advice/Please read my addendum

Post by dabbadon8 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:58 pm

My LSAC GPA will be a 3.49 (173 LSAT). My grades were pretty consistent expect for one semester, (3.7, 3.5 3.5 3.0 3.7 3.7.) The 3.0 semester has 3 A's 1 B+ and an F. I don't know if I want to draw attention to it or not. Let me know what you think of my addendum and situation. Thanks.

In the spring of 2009, I enrolled in the course DEP 3053. The entire course was online including the administration of tests and the collecting of assignments. At the beginning of the semester I input the dates of all tests and assignments from the syllabus into my calendar. I incorrectly marked the dates of the midterm and class project, both on the same week, as being due the following week. This caused me to miss taking the midterm and submitting the project. The mistake was unfortunate, though I think of it as a positive experience. I learned an important lesson in being thorough when keeping track of dead lines. I consider the lesson learned, and have not and will not repeat my mistake.

Gold

Re: Advice/Please read my addendum

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:My LSAC GPA will be a 3.49 (173 LSAT). My grades were pretty consistent expect for one semester, (3.7, 3.5 3.5 3.0 3.7 3.7.) The 3.0 semester has 3 A's 1 B+ and an F. I don't know if I want to draw attention to it or not. Let me know what you think of my addendum and situation. Thanks.

In the spring of 2009, I enrolled in the course DEP 3053. The entire course was online including the administration of tests and the collecting of assignments. At the beginning of the semester I input the dates of all tests and assignments from the syllabus into my calendar. I incorrectly marked the dates of the midterm and class project, both on the same week, as being due the following week. This caused me to miss taking the midterm and submitting the project. The mistake was unfortunate, though I think of it as a positive experience. I learned an important lesson in being thorough when keeping track of dead lines. I consider the lesson learned, and have not and will not repeat my mistake.
I wouldn't write an addendum for a 3.49. Especially since the reason is you not paying attention to details..the very thing lawyers are expected to do. I think a straight 3.49/173 will paint you in a more positive light without the addendum.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Yea, you probably don't want to draw attention towards the fact that you made a pretty major oversight...

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:10 pm

I disagree. I think that this is a fine addendum. Sure, maybe you made a mistake that lawyers shouldn't make, but it is better to make a detail error than to be a dummy who failed. I mean, they are going to see that F no matter what you do. Better to explain it away yourself then leave them to conjecture what happened.

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:16 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:My LSAC GPA will be a 3.49 (173 LSAT). My grades were pretty consistent expect for one semester, (3.7, 3.5 3.5 3.0 3.7 3.7.) The 3.0 semester has 3 A's 1 B+ and an F. I don't know if I want to draw attention to it or not. Let me know what you think of my addendum and situation. Thanks.

In spring 2009 ....53. The school administered the entire course online, including tests and hand-in assignments. When looking over the syllabus, I made a careless error and inputted the wrong course due dates. As a result, I missed several important tests and exams before I realized the scheduling error. I attempted to work something out with the professor, but he/she responded that the school has strict academic policy on the matters. I respected his/her position and chose not to pursue the issue any further because I had ultimately been the one who made the mistake. In spite of frustration I've tried to make use of the gaffe as a fortunate lesson learned prior to attending LS, where such mistakes simply cannot be made if I hope to be successful. I believe the active awareness I now have should avoid any future incidents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Hey-O wrote:I disagree. I think that this is a fine addendum. Sure, maybe you made a mistake that lawyers shouldn't make, but it is better to make a detail error than to be a dummy who failed. I mean, they are going to see that F no matter what you do. Better to explain it away yourself then leave them to conjecture what happened.
They aren't going to notice or care about one F with the rest of a transcript looking like that.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:19 pm

blowhard wrote:
Hey-O wrote:I disagree. I think that this is a fine addendum. Sure, maybe you made a mistake that lawyers shouldn't make, but it is better to make a detail error than to be a dummy who failed. I mean, they are going to see that F no matter what you do. Better to explain it away yourself then leave them to conjecture what happened.
They aren't going to notice or care about one F with the rest of a transcript looking like that.
Yeah, with the rest of the record, it makes much more sense that the adcoms would assume some type of punitive withdrawal or something rather then just flunking the course.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:20 pm

If you insist on an addendum:

In the spring of 2009, I erroneously wrote the wrong due-date down for a mid-term and class project. As the class was online, I failed to notice my mistake until it was too late to correct. I deservedly received an "F" for this course in recognition of my failures and learned a valuable lesson in paying attention-to-detail.

Should be short, sweet, to the point, and without extraneous information. They have to read 15K applications and they really don't care that much.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:38 pm

blowhard wrote:

In the spring of 2009, I erroneously wrote the wrong due-date down for a mid-term and class project. As the class was online, I failed to notice my mistake until it was too late to correct. I deservedly received an "F" for this course in recognition of my failures and learned a valuable lesson in paying attention-to-detail.

Should be short, sweet, to the point, and without extraneous information. They have to read 15K applications and they really don't care that much.

You guys have identified my dilemma. Let them possibly think I failed because I am dumb or tell them that I made a mistake that reflects on a crucial aspect of the law profession (attention to detail). I am still on the fence. Any more words of wisdom on whether or not to include it? (or what it should say?)

Thanks for the help fenway, here is it updated.

In the spring of 2009, I enrolled in the course DEP 3053. The entire course was online including the administration of tests and the collecting of assignments. When looking over the syllabus, I made a careless error and inputted the wrong course due dates. I incorrectly marked the dates of the midterm and class project, both due the same week, as being due the following week. As a result, I missed taking the midterm and submitting the project. I attempted to work something out with the professor, but she responded that the school has strict academic policy on the matters. I respected her position and chose not to pursue the issue any further because I had ultimately been the one who made the mistake. In spite of frustration, I've tried to make use of the gaffe as a fortunate lesson learned prior to attending law school, where such mistakes simply cannot be made if I hope to be successful. I believe the active awareness I now have should avoid any future incidents.
Last edited by dabbadon8 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:39 pm

blowhard wrote:They aren't going to notice or care about one F with the rest of a transcript looking like that.
Agreed.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

You guys have identified my dilemma. Let them possibly think I failed because I am dumb or tell them that I made a mistake that reflects on a crucial aspect of the law profession (attention to detail). I am still on the fence. Any more words of wisdom on whether or not to include it? (or what it should say?)

Thanks for the help fenway, here is it updated.

In the spring of 2009, I enrolled in the course DEP 3053. The entire course was online including the administration of tests and the collecting of assignments. When looking over the syllabus, I made a careless error and inputted the wrong course due dates. I incorrectly marked the dates of the midterm and class project, both due the same week, as being due the following week. As a result, I missed taking the midterm and submitting the project. I attempted to work something out with the professor, but she responded that the school has strict academic policy on the matters. I respected her position and chose not to pursue the issue any further because I had ultimately been the one who made the mistake. In spite of frustration, I've tried to make use of the gaffe as a fortunate lesson learned prior to attending law school, where such mistakes simply cannot be made if I hope to be successful. I believe the active awareness I now have should avoid any future incidents.
Way too much info. Look at my example. For instance, they don't care what course # it is. They aren't going to match it up. People explain arrests in 3 sentences...you can explain a single F.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 pm

I don't think you should include and addendum.

4llin

New

Post by 4llin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:31 am

dabbadon8's addendum is perfect.

I recommend copy & pasting.

The rest of your transcript is remarkably consistent. Addressing this grade resolves the single inconsistency. Resolving it effectively gives you a chance to shed further light on your promise as a lawyer/law student.

In either case, your LSAC GPA / LSAT will be the only things that really matter, this will be a softest soft factor - but you may as well do it right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”