U.Colorado -Degree GPA??? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

Gold

U.Colorado -Degree GPA???

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:04 pm

In the index that shows the formula used by law schools to determine an applicant's admission decision, it says Degree next to GPA for Colorado, and not any others (except Vermont or somewhere). Does this mean that they use your degree granting GPA rather than your cumulative?

Also, does ED help?

Grizz

Diamond

Re: U.Colorado -Degree GPA???

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:17 pm

Jeez you are just all over the place.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:18 pm

PS you need to retake the LSAT.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:20 pm

rad law wrote:PS you need to retake the LSAT.

If i come to S.Tampa i will find and smack you! haha. and I'm not all over the place. Its not like I'm going there, just checking out my options. I told you, I have a muuuch better degree GPA, so I'm curious!!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 pm

General Tso wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

You know, you could throw some helpful info in with the taunts!!!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:32 pm

I think they list both degree gpa and cumulative gpa

but most schools look at cumulative only

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:33 pm

darby girl wrote:
General Tso wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

You know, you could throw some helpful info in with the taunts!!!
They aren't taunts. The helpful info is to retake the LSAT.

Are you considering Colorado now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
One of my best gf's from HS goes to U.Denver for UG. She rants and raves about the area all the time. U. Denver Law is kinda down there on the rankings though. Colorado is also cheaper (even though hopefully denver would throw me some bones). It's kinda funny, I havent seen snow since I was like, 8, and the change of scenery sounds appealing. I wonder why its degree GPA on the index..?

And do you think ED really increases chances?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:08 pm

darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
One of my best gf's from HS goes to U.Denver for UG. She rants and raves about the area all the time. U. Denver Law is kinda down there on the rankings though. Colorado is also cheaper (even though hopefully denver would throw me some bones). It's kinda funny, I havent seen snow since I was like, 8, and the change of scenery sounds appealing. I wonder why its degree GPA on the index..?

you know I felt the same way. I got into CU Boulder law, deposited, and almost attended. I visited Denver and Boulder and was completely underwhelmed. Many people love it there, but I strongly recommend that you visit before making such a huge decision.

For me, Denver was like a slightly better version of Dallas. Boulder is a nice, interesting city. But it's so expensive that living there long term is unlikely, not to mention it is about a 35-45 minute drive into the city.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:10 pm

General Tso wrote:
darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

you know I felt the same way. I got into CU Boulder law, deposited, and almost attended. I visited Denver and Boulder and was completely underwhelmed. Many people love it there, but I strongly recommend that you visit before making such a huge decision.

For me, Denver was like a slightly better version of Dallas. Boulder is a nice, interesting city. But it's so expensive that living there long term is unlikely, not to mention it is about a 35-45 minute drive into the city.
Yep.. Denver/Boulder area, while nice, is horribly overrated and horribly expensive..and on top of that it doesnt even offer a whole lot of the higher salaries of a lot of places with high cost of living

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I can understand the snow attraction too, since I grew up in the South. I studied abroad in europe and loved the winter there. But I think you might feel differently if you lived with snow your whole life. It's a pain to drive in and shovel your driveway.

Denver isn't the only place to experience snow. Don't forget about the NE, Midwest, and Pacific West (CA has Tahoe and Big Bear, OR and WA have the Cascades and BC).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 pm

General Tso wrote:I can understand the snow attraction too, since I grew up in the South. I studied abroad in europe and loved the winter there. But I think you might feel differently if you lived with snow your whole life. It's a pain to drive in and shovel your driveway.

Denver isn't the only place to experience snow. Don't forget about the NE, Midwest, and Pacific West (CA has Tahoe and Big Bear, OR and WA have the Cascades and BC).

honestly i have no idea where I'm applying. It just seems like Boulder is a place I would enjoy for the 3 years I would spend there. I don't think I would be accepted though, but if they do the degree GPA AND ED does help a decent amt, I'd have a shot. I am totally going to visit though. Ski trip!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 pm

The snow is typically light in the Boulder-Denver area.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:25 pm

darby girl wrote:
General Tso wrote:I can understand the snow attraction too, since I grew up in the South. I studied abroad in europe and loved the winter there. But I think you might feel differently if you lived with snow your whole life. It's a pain to drive in and shovel your driveway.

honestly i have no idea where I'm applying. It just seems like Boulder is a place I would enjoy for the 3 years I would spend there. I don't think I would be accepted though, but if they do the degree GPA AND ED does help a decent amt, I'd have a shot. I am totally going to visit though. Ski trip!
Yea.. sorry to disappoint but the weather in the boulder area is fairly mild and its kind of in the valley. Good ski areas are about an hour and a half to two hours away. If ever get a chance you should go up Vail way.. its pretty nice and very touristy.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:31 pm

I agree that some people get TOO into the Denver/Boulder loving. I grew up there and I can say that the COL is waaaay cheaper in most parts of the Denver metro area than in Boulder. There are apartments near my mom's house that start in the low 200's for a 1BR that is about a 20-25 min drive from downtown Denver and directly next to public transit.

CU Boulder's tuition is a bit higher than expected for in-state. From what I can tell, CU does quite well in the somewhat insular market.

So I think it could be a pretty good choice. But this is coming from a 0L Denver resident.

Good luck to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:48 pm

F*ck Colorado. Two walk-off home runs in a row against my Cardinals. FML.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 pm

darby girl wrote:

Keep in mind that you'd spend 3 years in Boulder and many, many subsequent years in Colorado.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 pm

darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I wouldn't ED. Even if you have the money, it's sort of a waste.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 pm

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I wouldn't ED. Even if you have the money, it's sort of a waste.
Lame party? That was quick.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 pm

This is the second time you've asked if a school takes the degree instead of cumulative GPA. They don't. No school that you would want to go to does.

It's a fact of law school admissions. Deal with it and stop trying to get around it.

And I doubt you make it in to CU. They tend to favor in-state pretty heavily. I was WL'ed with better numbers than yours.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 pm

shock259 wrote:I agree that some people get TOO into the Denver/Boulder loving. I grew up there and I can say that the COL is waaaay cheaper in most parts of the Denver metro area than in Boulder. There are apartments near my mom's house that start in the low 200's for a 1BR that is about a 20-25 min drive from downtown Denver and directly next to public transit.

CU Boulder's tuition is a bit higher than expected for in-state. From what I can tell, CU does quite well in the somewhat insular market.

So I think it could be a pretty good choice. But this is coming from a 0L Denver resident.

Good luck to you.

I don't know what everyone thinks is high for rent... I live in Tampa, FL and pay 920 not including utils for my apartment. Granted it is a 2 bedroom, but still. I wouldn't mind paying around 1,000 for a 1br even, if it was pretty nice. If costs are more than that then that is a little steep for me....

Sorry to be repetitive, but does anyone know ANYTHING about ED and chances?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm

kalvano wrote:This is the second time you've asked if a school takes the degree instead of cumulative GPA. They don't. No school that you would want to go to does.

It's a fact of law school admissions. Deal with it and stop trying to get around it.

And I doubt you make it in to CU. They tend to favor in-state pretty heavily. I was WL'ed with better numbers than yours.
what kind of numbers? i got in OOS with 3.8/162

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm

romothesavior wrote: Lame party?
In a word, yes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”