Study Abroad Courses Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Curry

Study Abroad Courses

Post by Curry » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked a million times but i'm not getting a clear answer from my searches.

I studied abroad over the summer one year at an incredibly prestigious university in England (Oxbridge) and got a First Class marking.

I know LSAC doesn't want the grades unless you have studied there for over a year BUT those grades appear on my transcript at my current UG. If that is the case, will they transfer over?

Thanks

Boilernation11

New

Re: Study Abroad Courses

Post by Boilernation11 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Transfer where?

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:20 pm

From the LSAC rep I spoke to about my study abroad, I don't think those grades will count (sucks sorry). I would call and ask as only they would know about your exact situation.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm not an expert on LSAC's international rules but I doubt you get GPA credit for it unless your UG assigned a grade for it. (In which case, it was a US course regardless of where you took it.)

What do the instructions for intl school say? If it says over one year, then don't submit them and see if they show on your UG transcript.

Curry

Post by Curry » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 am

My UG counts them as grades in my GPA. It shows up on my transcript. I don't understand why it wouldn't show up with LSAC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:45 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:My UG counts them as grades in my GPA. It shows up on my transcript. I don't understand why it wouldn't show up with LSAC
LSAC seems to have a case-by-case basis with many study abroad grades. There are a ton of factors. Since TLS couldn't definitively answer my questions, I called a rep (took two minutes) and had my answer immediately.

215.968.1001 and press 0 to speak to a representative

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 pm

From experience, if the study abroad grades are on your transcript and you have received credit for them by your UG, then LSAC will count them from that transcript and they will be a part of your overall average.

I went to a school in France for a while, my grades were present on my transcript, I did not send in the transcript from that French school as it wasn't necessary under LSAC rules, but sadly they still counted them in.

Not great for me, but should work out for you.

They also counted the one course I took during the summer at a French school about 5 years ago. They want to count all grades for any college classes; they just don't necessarily need the transcript from the foreign school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”