How accurate is the LS Predictor site? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Gold

Re: How accurate is the LS Predictor site?

Post by 094320 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:11 pm

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 pm

I was consider, strong consider and weak consider for all the schools I applied too. I was accepted to everyone with significant scholarships to a majority of them. I was a splitter, not a huge one, but it seemed to dislike my GPA more than the schools did. (have a masters, good work experience as softs that maybe were considered)

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 pm

dgthree wrote:I was consider, strong consider and weak consider for all the schools I applied too. I was accepted to everyone with significant scholarships to a majority of them. I was a splitter, not a huge one, but it seemed to dislike my GPA more than the schools did. (have a masters, good work experience as softs that maybe were considered)

Interesting...

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:04 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
dgthree wrote:I was consider, strong consider and weak consider for all the schools I applied too. I was accepted to everyone with significant scholarships to a majority of them. I was a splitter, not a huge one, but it seemed to dislike my GPA more than the schools did. (have a masters, good work experience as softs that maybe were considered)

Interesting...
I was very surprised myself, I do think I may have also had a boost because I applied to a lot of schools outside of my region, averaging 1200-1500 miles away. I am sure they did not normally have that many applicants from those areas and they gave it a chance.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I think it was slightly optimistic in my case:
1 Strong Consider --> deny
8 Admits --> 2 waitlists, 6 admits

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Got into my "deny" school (Harvard), rejected at my "strong consider" school (Berkeley), WL at 2 considers, and accepted everywhere else. LSN was completely useless for me.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:12 pm

most of my admits came from "weak consider" s

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:51 am

Damn...so it seems kindda all over the board here...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 am

In the end, it doesn't really matter what it says. Apply to everywhere you think you might be happy. See who bites. Ask for fee waivers. It's easy to send out 20 applications for not a lot of money.

You never know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 am

kalvano wrote:In the end, it doesn't really matter what it says. Apply to everywhere you think you might be happy. See who bites. Ask for fee waivers. It's easy to send out 20 applications for not a lot of money.

You never know.
Question about that. Do you ask for waivers on the LSAC site or the law school's websites?

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 am

What's considered a "splitter" for LSP purposes?

I'm estimating that my final numbers will be 3.4/170. Considering the fact that my GPA is below median for the entire T13, would LSP yield somewhat less reliable predictions than non-splitters?

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:03 am

PLATONiC wrote:What's considered a "splitter" for LSP purposes?

I'm estimating that my final numbers will be 3.4/170. Considering the fact that my GPA is below median for the entire T13, would LSP yield somewhat less reliable predictions than non-splitters?
You're a moderate splitter, and I would be a little wary of the results you get.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:05 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
kalvano wrote:In the end, it doesn't really matter what it says. Apply to everywhere you think you might be happy. See who bites. Ask for fee waivers. It's easy to send out 20 applications for not a lot of money.

You never know.
Question about that. Do you ask for waivers on the LSAC site or the law school's websites?

Email the school and ask directly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 am

It seems you can trust almost everything if you apply early. Admit is the least reliable return, however, as it doesn't consider schools like Northwestern and Yale.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:49 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:It seems you can trust almost everything if you apply early. Admit is the least reliable return, however, as it doesn't consider schools like Northwestern and Yale.
When's the cut off date for early? I don't think i'll be able to get my apps in before the first couple weeks of October probably (mainly because i'm expecting a delay on my LOR, and my school doesn't start until the last week or two of September).

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:54 am

I think it is a little over-generous with the 165-166 LSAT range. Based on the experience of myself, 166 3.87 and a few others with simmilar numbers. Put me at Admit for Vanderbilt, USC, and ND where I got waitlisted.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:56 am

Cupidity wrote:I think it is a little over-generous with the 165-166 LSAT range. Based on the experience of myself, 166 3.87 and a few others with simmilar numbers. Put me at Admit for Vanderbilt, USC, and ND where I got waitlisted.
That's because you're a weak reverse splitter, with an above-median GPA and below-median LSAT for those schools. LSP does not do well with splitters' chances, since it's based on index numbers. Someone with a 3.75/167 would probably have the same index score as you, but get into all 3 of these schools. But yeah, 165-166 is a tough place to be, since it falls just short of T20.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blueballa

New

Post by blueballa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:20 am

I was almost completely screwed over by LSP.

I plugged in my numbers and it told me "deny" at Yale, so I didn't even bother applying there initially. I only sent in my app to YLS at the last minute (on the day of the deadline, in fact) because my mom basically forced me to, and I eventually got in off the waitlist. If I had listened to that silly website, I never would've known that I even had a chance at Yale. Law School Predictor can give you a pretty good sense of what your chances are, but DON'T LET IT SELL YOU SHORT!!!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/smile

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:24 am

blueballa wrote:I was almost completely screwed over by LSP.

I plugged in my numbers and it told me "deny" at Yale, so I didn't even bother applying there initially. I only sent in my app to YLS at the last minute (on the day of the deadline, in fact) because my mom basically forced me to, and I eventually got in off the waitlist. If I had listened to that silly website, I never would've known that I even had a chance at Yale. Law School Predictor can give you a pretty good sense of what your chances are, but DON'T LET IT SELL YOU SHORT!!!

Wow congrats. Thats impressive with your stats. Softs?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:25 am

TOMaHULK wrote:Damn...so it seems kindda all over the board here...
Use LSP in combination with LSN and hourumd to get the best idea. For your average non-urm candidate with only 1 take you should be able to get a good idea.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:24 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

You never know.

Email the school and ask directly.
Thank you.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:24 pm

If you had bothered to read the website you could have learned that about 10% of applicants get into "deny" schools.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Tautology wrote:

If you had bothered to read the website you could have learned that about 10% of applicants get into "deny" schools.
Credited. It also doesn't factor in the very real URM asian boost.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”