Duke ED Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
upwardtrend

New

Duke ED

Post by upwardtrend » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Does anyone have experience or knowledge regarding Duke's early decision program. Its my top choice but I know little about how much of an advantage it gives since its new. I know Duke likes GPAs quite a bit, which is probably the weak point of my application (3.4). I was wondering if anyone knew an approximate acceptance rate or anything like that for the ED track. The 170 LSAT would give me a good chance for ED at UVA but I rather stay at Duke. (its where i did my undergrad) Thanks

paralegal

Bronze

Re: Duke ED

Post by paralegal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Applying ED to Duke is going to be your "only" shot at an acceptance with a GPA of 3.4. The stats on lawschoolnumbers.com will confirm this. Duke continues to receive more applications each year; this cycle, Duke received over 8,000 applications for a very small class of 200 entering students.

Duke definitely places great emphasis on GPA. However, you need a strong LSAT for Duke as well. Apply early - just as they "open" their doors for the next cycle (September)...and you "must" write the "Why Duke" essay..... because of their small class size, Duke tries to identify students who "know" that Duke is their first choice and why....so "let the admissions office know specifically "why Duke."

1. early...in Spetember
2. "why Duke"

I think you have a shot with your 170....and you know you love Duke...you just spent four years there...

Best of luck....

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:30 pm

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 pm

...and as the link (from Desert Fox) indicated....

there are certainly "not" very many applicants being admitted with a 3.4....and the one applicant that was admitted with a 3.45 GPA and a 170 LSAT applied ED and submitted their application very early....September 2.

Really your "only" shot is ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”