Do "Legacies" Still Have the Same Advantage? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MagnumLifeStyle

Bronze

Do "Legacies" Still Have the Same Advantage?

Post by MagnumLifeStyle » Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Ivy League schools and other top-notch schools are known to have preference for legacies in their undergraduate admissions.

Does such advantage still exist for law school admissions (ivy league + stanford and other top law schools)?

jks289

Silver

Re: Do "Legacies" Still Have the Same Advantage?

Post by jks289 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:Ivy League schools and other top-notch schools are known to have preference for legacies in their undergraduate admissions.

Does such advantage still exist for law school admissions (ivy league + stanford and other top law schools)?
Most anecdotal evidence says no, unless relative is major financial donor.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 pm

I doubt it. Most people go to college. Most people don't go to law school.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I think schools might have some small preference for students of families that go to that school. But you still have to have the right numbers.

bconly

New

Post by bconly » Fri May 21, 2010 7:37 pm

i was on the border at USC and got a reject as a legacy... so I say no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:Ivy League schools and other top-notch schools are known to have preference for legacies in their undergraduate admissions.

It probably depends on how strong the legacy connection is.
If you have a 4 or 5 generation line that went to the law school, I definitely think there will be an advantage.
Just a sole generation without any major donations might only have a slight advantage.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Fri May 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Undergraduate admission offices look for a well-rounded applicant on dimensions such as personality and leadership ability that are sometimes tough to measure and record. Thus using legacy status as a proxy of a successful upbringing that cultivates the aforementioned qualities is sometimes useful for these admissions.

On the other hand, as we all know, law school is almost completely numbers focused and academically oriented. Even the soft factors that really help are typically related to academia (e.g., published papers) or are much better proxies of personality and leadership capability than legacy status (e.g., prestigious scholarships) which aren't available to students just entering undergraduate colleges.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:27 pm

sayan wrote:Undergraduate admission offices look for a well-rounded applicant on dimensions such as personality and leadership ability that are sometimes tough to measure and record. Thus using legacy status as a proxy of a successful upbringing that cultivates the aforementioned qualities is sometimes useful for these admissions.
:lol:

You don't actually believe that this is the reason, do you?

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Sat May 22, 2010 12:11 pm

jks289 wrote:

This. When the relative in question can schedule a lunch with university brass at his convenience, his kid is getting in unless his numbers are beyond awful. Big difference between "I'm so happy I went to school here" legacy and "We're so happy you went to school here" legacy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Sat May 22, 2010 12:57 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:This. When the relative in question can schedule a lunch with university brass at his convenience, his kid is getting in unless his numbers are beyond awful. Big difference between "I'm so happy I went to school here" legacy and "We're so happy you went to school here" legacy.
And of course the public university equivalent: My relative can have your funding cut.

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:18 am

jks289 wrote:

How does anecdotal evidence say no?

Are you saying that a graduate from Alaska College with a 3.5 is equivalent to a Yale 3.5 in the eyes of admissions officers?

theLastZion

New

Post by theLastZion » Thu May 27, 2010 8:46 am

I think a lot of schools give you a small bump if you're borderline and have strong connections to the school; thereby being more likely to matriculate if accepted. To the extent that being a legacy fulfils that role, it may give you a bump.

theLastZion

New

Post by theLastZion » Thu May 27, 2010 8:47 am

SuperFreak wrote:Are you saying that a graduate from Alaska College with a 3.5 is equivalent to a Yale 3.5 in the eyes of admissions officers?
To the admissions people at Yale? Yes, that person is an auto-reject.

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 9:11 am

theLastZion wrote:
SuperFreak wrote:Are you saying that a graduate from Alaska College with a 3.5 is equivalent to a Yale 3.5 in the eyes of admissions officers?
To the admissions people at Yale? Yes, that person is an auto-reject.
Just to make sure, we're talking about Alaska College, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”