Cable and Internet Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What do you pay for at home?

Internet only
53%
Cable only
No votes
Cable + Internet
37%
Other
No votes
Neither
10%

Total votes: 30

vexion

Bronze

Cable and Internet

Post by vexion » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:47 am

Not sure what the correct forum for this would be, but I was interested in how many law students spring for cable at home.

If you don't have free cable in the dorms or some such, and your local cable company offers different package options, what have you gone with?

For those of you who sprung for cable, do you think it's been worth it? Do you have time to watch TV?

vexion

Bronze

Re: Cable and Internet

Post by vexion » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:43 am

:? I was trying to decide what package I should buy, and 5-5 doesn't help...

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:57 am

I'm only a 0L, but in UG I've never paid for cable. I never understood why people pay for cable anymore. You can get anything you would watch on TV online now. Paying for cable seems a lot like wasting money on a home phone.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:07 am

Which provider?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:20 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I'm only a 0L, but in UG I've never paid for cable. I never understood why people pay for cable anymore. You can get anything you would watch on TV online now. Paying for cable seems a lot like wasting money on a home phone.

TiVo!!! Wanting to watch good quality on a big screen. Wanting to not deal with shitty internet connections.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:37 am

Pearalegal wrote:TiVo!!!
Isn't a computer just a TiVo+?
Pearalegal wrote: Wanting to watch good quality on a big screen.
Even youtube videos have HD now; between Hulu etc. it's not like TV via the internet is limited to Chinese bootlegs with spyware anymore. And how big a screen do you need? You can get an external monitor and then you have that to use when working on your computer as well.
Pearalegal wrote:Wanting to not deal with shitty internet connections.
So get a sufficiently good connection. Also, a shitty cable connection wouldn't solve the actual problem.

I don't mean to quibble. To each their own. If you get some value out of having a TV/cable that's greater than the cost to you, by all means get it. I just don't get it though.

(Edit for grammar fail)
Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:38 am

It's all free here.

I don't think I'd bother paying for it if it wasn't included in the price of rent, though.

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:46 am

As a broke college student and soon to be broke law student, I can't justify the ~$70 or so for cable TV. I also think I'll be too busy in LS to watch a lot of TV.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:49 am

DVR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:06 am

As others have said you can get anything you can pretty much desire online.

That being said, the only exception to this would be live sporting events. I guess if you don't mind going to your local sports bar but most of the time I would rather relax and watch it at home or with friends and not have to go to a bar.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:41 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:TiVo!!!
Isn't a computer just a TiVo+?
Pearalegal wrote: Wanting to watch good quality on a big screen.
Even youtube videos have HD now; between Hulu etc. it's not like TV via the internet is limited to Chinese bootlegs with spyware anymore. And how big a screen do you need? You can get an external monitor and then you have that to use when working on your computer as well.
Pearalegal wrote:Wanting to not deal with shitty internet connections.
So get a sufficiently good connection. Also, a shitty cable connection wouldn't solve the actual problem.

I don't mean to quibble. To each their own. If you get some value out of having a TV/cable that's greater than the cost to you, by all means get it. I just don't get it though.

(Edit for grammar fail)
* shrug * I like my TV. Admittedly if I was experiencing a budget problem, it would be the first thing to go, but I like having a big TV to veg out in front of on the couch or to have people over to watch sports or movies. I've always been more comfortable watching TV on a TV.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”