Handong International Law School (Non-ABA-Approved) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
King

New

Handong International Law School (Non-ABA-Approved)

Post by King » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:31 am

Handong International Law School (HILS)

Take a look at this bullcrap.

Main Page: (--LinkRemoved--)

Faculty Profile: (--LinkRemoved--)

I love how in the latter link (faculty profile), Professor James T. Davis' profile reads "He has read the New Testament 40 times and the Old Testament 15 times."

I think schools like this is even a bigger rip-off than TTTT schools. You don't even qualify to sit for the bar exam in the United States. I chuckled at their feeble attempt at covering up (but still legally obligated to reveal) the fact that the degree that they offer is worthless:

Info on Bar Examinations: (--LinkRemoved--)

You can't even practice law in South Korea with this degree. So you're pretty much stuck with a law degree that gets you NOTHING. This sorta pisses me off. I sent the dean an email requesting information (six questions) about the school. We'll see what he says... lol...
Last edited by King on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

itsfine

Bronze

Re: Take a look at this Non-ABA-Approved Law School

Post by itsfine » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:49 am

That is funny that is says that ha

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:50 am

Doesn't help that they have two other Regent U grads...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:53 am

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:59 am

Professor Reeves is listed in Who’s Who in American Law and is a Third Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

King

New

Re: Handong International Law School (Non-ABA-Approved)

Post by King » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:23 am

Also found these clips about the school:

HILS ORIENTATION FOR THE CLASS OF 2008 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbiXpRu264A

HILS 2009 Teacher's Day Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSEVpdT6d0

HILS ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENr8Bmsv7S0 (Impressed by the judges wearing the gowns)

King

New

Post by King » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:28 am

pany1985 wrote:Doesn't help that they have two other Regent U grads...
Actually there are three Regent JDs.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:29 am

King wrote:
If you do math correctly, you're both right!

King

New

Post by King » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:30 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
King wrote:
If you do math correctly, you're both right!
lol... maybe I should go to HILS. RC fail for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:36 am

King wrote:Also found these clips about the school:

HILS ORIENTATION FOR THE CLASS OF 2008 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbiXpRu264A

HILS 2009 Teacher's Day Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSEVpdT6d0

HILS ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENr8Bmsv7S0 (Impressed by the judges wearing the gowns)
on the teacher's day video clip, you can see the girl's ARMPIT HAIR underneath her t-shirt (0:21). that's hot.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 am

King wrote: Info on Bar Examinations: (--LinkRemoved--)
From that link...

"In 2003-4, we anticipate inviting leading legal educators from ABA accredited schools to visit Handong and evaluate our program."

:lol:

I wonder how that went...

Conan

New

Post by Conan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:27 am

Anyone read their "Faith Commitment"?
No wonder this school mentions having a faculty that read the Bible multiple times.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:49 am

King wrote:Handong International Law School (HILS)

I love how in the latter link (faculty profile), Professor James T. Davis' profile reads "He has read the New Testament 40 times and the Old Testament 15 times."

I think schools like this is even a bigger rip-off than TTTT schools. You don't even qualify to sit for the bar exam in the United States. I chuckled at their feeble attempt at covering up (but still legally obligated to reveal) the fact that the degree that they offer is worthless:

You can't even practice law in South Korea with this degree. So you're pretty much stuck with a law degree that gets you NOTHING. This sorta pisses me off. I sent the dean an email requesting information (six questions) about the school. We'll see what he says... lol...
I don't know anything about this school, but just in response to that statement (about not being eligible to practice law in Korea with this degree), presently you are not required to have a degree to practice law in Korea. Most people do have a degree, however, "law school" is part of the undergraduate curriculum. The only requirement to become a lawyer is the exam (which would probably be similar to the bar exam - I don't remember the name of it). However, unlike in the states (where you take the exam, and if you pass you pass, if you don't you don't), the Korean exam is graded on curve so only a small amount of test takers actually become eligible to practice the law (they cap the number of test takers that can pass). I think its something like 6% of test takers. Following that you enter a training with the Supreme Court but there are no further exams (like the bar). So a degree in law (which would be an undergraduate degree), while helpful probably, will not make you eligible to practice law in South Korea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:36 am

I can't tell if this is a law school or some kind of cultish summer camp. Actually higher ed in general in South Korea is worthless.

Especially this school. You'll probably see more of your money's worth at cooley law school.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

twaswoo

New

Post by twaswoo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:41 am

hykang wrote:

I don't know anything about this school, but just in response to that statement (about not being eligible to practice law in Korea with this degree), presently you are not required to have a degree to practice law in Korea. Most people do have a degree, however, "law school" is part of the undergraduate curriculum. The only requirement to become a lawyer is the exam (which would probably be similar to the bar exam - I don't remember the name of it). However, unlike in the states (where you take the exam, and if you pass you pass, if you don't you don't), the Korean exam is graded on curve so only a small amount of test takers actually become eligible to practice the law (they cap the number of test takers that can pass). I think its something like 6% of test takers. Following that you enter a training with the Supreme Court but there are no further exams (like the bar). So a degree in law (which would be an undergraduate degree), while helpful probably, will not make you eligible to practice law in South Korea.

no, the law degree is no longer offered in undergrad in south korea. last year they established 25 law schools that exclusively offer a degree in law, without which you are not eligible to take the bar exam. its basically just like the law education system in the US.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:38 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:I can't tell if this is a law school or some kind of cultish summer camp.
The ad video definitely makes it look like a cult. I love how they all look up at the sky and raise their fists in the air at the end.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:50 pm

doomed123 wrote:
King wrote: Info on Bar Examinations: (--LinkRemoved--)
From that link...

"In 2003-4, we anticipate inviting leading legal educators from ABA accredited schools to visit Handong and evaluate our program."

:lol:

I wonder how that went...
I guess nobody told them that it's now 2010.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

King

New

Post by King » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm

I sent dean enlow asking him a bunch of questions about the process, but still no answer... I hope he's kind enough to answer. If not, I'll probably solicit information from each HILS faculty member.
hykang wrote:

That was a pretty dense passage. What is the main point to it?

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Handong trolls!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:32 pm

I wonder if I should visit their ASD.

lebob

New

Post by lebob » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:39 pm

this is going to sound bizarre, but i met the dean of the school about 6 years ago when i was in high school (or i think he was the dean?) i dont know if he's still around, lynn buzzard, a duke law grad.

the guy himself was really nice, don't ask how i met him, haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:21 am

dongs are funny

Abrikos

New

Post by Abrikos » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:37 am

Loved this part:

"With its commitment to the biblical command to ‘Do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God’, Handong International Law School (HILS) has become a center of creative legal education in Asia in 21st century"

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 am

Have you guys ever seen the butterfinger commercial set in an office where the one guy staples the other guy to the outside of his cubicle? Well I wanted to quote part of the commercial because I think it is apt...
You guys are idiots...
Quit bashing a school in another country... especially since it is apparent that none of you have a grasp on the S. Korean legal system. It's not like their grads are competing for your jobs... It's like PCOL all over again

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:54 am

firebreathingliberal wrote: Quit bashing a school in another country... especially since it is apparent that none of you have a grasp on the S. Korean legal system.
I may be mistaken, but judging from this passage...

"The Handong International Law School program provides students with a comprehensive U.S. academic program sufficient in scope and intensity to prepare persons for bar exams in the United States. The program meets the academic course requirements set forth by the American Bar Association that accredits U.S. law schools. While formal accreditation by the ABA is not available to schools outside the U.S. and Canada, we have sought wherever possible to comply with ABA expectations, and in many instances, exceed them. Our course coverage, total credit hours, and required core courses exceed ABA requirements. In 2003-4, we anticipate inviting leading legal educators from ABA accredited schools to visit Handong and evaluate our program."

...it sounds like they're training graduates to practice in the US legal system (with a degree that will hold zero weight over here). It's hard to tell though, as their entire "career" page is just a bunch of vague nonsense about the "wide range" of "callings" outside of actual law practice, and some equally vague claims about establishing "relationships" with unnamed US law schools. It really seems like a scam.
Last edited by doomed123 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”