"Ivy League" law schools? WTF?!?! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: "Ivy League" law schools? WTF?!?!

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 pm

I love that you changed the topic to include "WTF!?!?" Classic Peter North.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:32 pm

Peter North wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I love that you changed the topic to include "WTF!?!?" Classic Peter North.
LOL. :D

Kidding aside, I've read plenty of literature about 3 out of the 5 (HYC) schools listed in that Wiki link. To date, I haven't come across any official literature that refers to the schools as "Ivy League law schools".
What is the issue?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:32 pm

Hey do not kill my prestige dream!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:33 pm

That wiki article is a joke.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Peter North wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I love that you changed the topic to include "WTF!?!?" Classic Peter North.

Kidding aside, I've read plenty of literature about 3 out of the 5 (HYC) schools listed in that Wiki link. To date, I haven't come across any official literature that refers to the schools as "Ivy League law schools".
I'm not sure I understand your point. Harvard is the in Ivy League, and has a law school. Thus, it is an Ivy League Law School, much like UIUC is a Big Ten Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chanchito

Bronze

Post by chanchito » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeah for undergrad it may matter but for law school there are so many factors other than Ivy League status to take into account. Pretty funny. It looks like it did the research/ citation pretty well though. Someone has too much time haha

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:36 pm

cubswin wrote:
Peter North wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point. Harvard is the in Ivy League, and has a law school. Thus, it is an Ivy League Law School, much like UIUC is a Big Ten Law School.
It's dumb because it shouldn't be it's own article.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:37 pm

cubswin wrote:
Peter North wrote:

That would lump Michigan Law, Michigan State Law, Penn State Law in the same grouping...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Nightrunner wrote:X is A; X is B ... X is A and B

is this shit really difficult?
That is logically false.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flawyer

New

Post by flawyer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 pm

Stanford is a top 3 law school and a great undergrad. BUT, it's not in the Ivy League! Quick, somebody make a pointless thread about that!!!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cubswin wrote:
Peter North wrote:

That would lump Michigan Law, Michigan State Law, Penn State Law in the same grouping...
Yes, the Big Ten athletic conference grouping, which tells us nothing about reputation. I'm not sure what is problematic with this.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:affective troll is affective :mrgreen:
That'd be twice affective :mrgreen:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm confused by this thread. What is the point, PN?

Ivy League = sports conference.

I thought this had been beaten to death already?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:46 pm

Peter North wrote:
flawyer wrote:Stanford is a top 3 law school and a great undergrad. BUT, it's not in the Ivy League! Quick, somebody make a pointless thread about that!!!
chanchito, Unitas, et al. have articulated by point rather well.

Classifying a law school as an "Ivy League" law school (by way of its connection to the university at large) is downright silly, laughable and futile.

HTH
Cornell is an Ivy League school. Princeton is an Ivy League school. Yale is an Ivy League school

None of those statements is false, yet none of those statements have any relation to the calibur of the law school (or lack thereof).

There is nothing wrong with that wiki article.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Ivy League = Ivy League sports conference
Ivy League = best of the best
Ivy League = Ivy League sports conference AND best of the best

:mrgreen:

flawyer

New

Post by flawyer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:49 pm

Peter North wrote:
flawyer wrote:Stanford is a top 3 law school and a great undergrad. BUT, it's not in the Ivy League! Quick, somebody make a pointless thread about that!!!

Classifying a law school as an "Ivy League" law school (by way of its connection to the university at large) is downright silly, laughable and futile.

HTH

The term Ivy League law school means that the school offers a JD and it competes in the Ivy League ATHLETIC CONFERENCE. You are assuming that the term Ivy League has non-athletic connotations.

flawyer

New

Post by flawyer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm

flawyer wrote:
Peter North wrote:

HTH

The term Ivy League law school means that the school offers a JD and it competes in the Ivy League ATHLETIC CONFERENCE. You are assuming that the term Ivy League has non-athletic connotations.
Which is a pretty lay assumption. You are clearly not Ivy League material... jk PN i still love u

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:Ivy League = Ivy League sports conference
Ivy League = best of the best
Ivy League = Ivy League sports conference AND best of the best

:mrgreen:
Maybe to your typical lay person. I know most people were far more impressed to hear I was considering Cornell than Michigan, and were surprised when I informed them that Michigan was a much better school. I'm sure there are even some people who think Stanford is of a lower calibur than some of the ivies. But not many people in the legal profession are going to say Cornell is the "best of the best." Great school, yes, but not on par with Harvard and Yale.

The reason the Ivy League schools get so much respect is because they are (for the most part) among the oldest institutions in the country, they all have great undergrad programs and they usually have sizeable endowments.

Still confused what the point of this thread is...

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Peter North wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League_law_schools

This is a joke, right? :?
nah, I go to one. Its pretty real....

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:57 pm

Peter North wrote:
flawyer wrote: jk PN i still love u
The love is reciprocated. :oops: :wink:

Seriously, though, come on guys.

What if you're at a bar, and you chit-chat with person X. S/he says, "I go to an Ivy Law School".

How would you guys react? :lol:
I mean, even Cornell is an impressive law school. Aside from thinking the person was a d-bag for making such a pretentious comment, I'd probably have a great deal of respect for the person. But I would still recognize the huge difference between Yale and Cornell.

Come on. Let the Cornell kids have their fun with the lay prestige. How else are they gonna pick up chicks at the bar? :D

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'm sure there are even some people who think Stanford is of a lower calibur than some of the ivies.
If you consider Harvard and Yale "some of the ivies"...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Peter North wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The reason the Ivy League schools get so much respect is because they are (for the most part) among the oldest institutions in the country, they all have great undergrad programs and they usually have sizeable endowments.
Exactly. To an extent, that's really my point. :? Why does it have to apply to law schools? And why don't any of the law schools' official literature allude to this so called "Ivy" stature? :?

If public reputation at large is enough to attract large endowments $$$, then clearly schools like Chicago, NYU, Stanford, etc. would be the "Ivy's" of the law schools realm.
I think what you're really getting at in this thread is the irrationality of people lumping the Ivy schools together. Sure, I grant you that when people hear Ivy League they instantly think "prestigious," and quite honestly, I can't blame them for doing so. I also agree strongly that people are pretty dumb when it comes to recognizing certain schools as prestigious. I am from Illinois and I can't tell you how many people conflate University of Chicago with the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).

A lot of it also has to do with region. In my area, WUSTL has a TON of respect (probably even more than it is due, and I do love WUSTL). In the south, Vanderbilt gets a bit of an irrational prestige bump among the lay community. Conversely, many people who are not familiar with a school don't really understand how good the school really is. Like I said, many friends of mine were surprised that Michigan was a T10, and probably also would be surprised at how high Virginia is.

Not everyone lives and breathes US News Report rankings like we do. :D TLS is just an odd breed.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:08 pm

Peter North wrote:

What if you're at a bar, and you chit-chat with person X. S/he says, "I go to an Ivy Law School".

I would assume Cornell or Penn... Maybe even Columbia.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:07 pm

Peter North wrote:

I would be most impressed to meet a Princeton Law alumna.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:09 pm

Yeah...I can't believe how stupid that WIKIPEDIA article is....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”