Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which school would you choose?

Harvard
34%
Yale
66%

Total votes: 195

Zara

Bronze

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Post by Zara » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 am

this guy is either a flame or a huge schmuck with a righteous sense of self entitlement (more likely he is both). i regret even seriously answering his question. :oops: though i am enjoying the trainwreck. :)

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:18 am

RealTalk wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Unemployed wrote: How did you deal with all the B's at Princeton?
Ivy league schools give out B's?
RealTalk wrote: I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale.
I didn't know a "proven" GPA at Princeton is a 3.3, isn't that median?
yeah but its higher than the median for engineering grads

I probably coulda taken a cake major and gotten closer to getting cum laude or something

3.6 gets u cum laude at Princeton
Not sure if you are top-of-the-class-at-HLS material. :|

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:22 am

The words "cool", "story", and "bro" come to mind when i read this post

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:23 am

Unemployed wrote: Not sure if you are top-of-the-class-at-HLS material. :|
I got that hidden Gohan super sayin potential. All I need is a chance and I'm sure I'd wipe the floor with anyone at HLS.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 am

$1.99 wrote:The words "cool", "story", and "bro" come to mind when i read this post
"Bro story, cool"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 am

RealTalk wrote: yeah but its higher than the median for engineering grads

I probably coulda taken a cake major and gotten closer to getting cum laude or something

3.6 gets u cum laude at Princeton
So then unless you are #1 in class/department/major with a 3.3, then you haven't proved yourself despite your self-assured abilities and competitiveness. In other words you are just a slacking underachiever who settles for whatever he can get. I don't think that's going to carry you to the top half of H (considering every you said so far).

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 am

tomhobbes wrote:
$1.99 wrote:The words "cool", "story", and "bro" come to mind when i read this post
"Bro story, cool"?
lol your reputation precedes you tom +1

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 am

RealTalk wrote:
I got that hidden Gohan super sayin potential. All I need is a chance and I'm sure I'd wipe the floor with anyone at HLS.

You know what the meaning of potential is right? You mean you COULD (not would) wipe the floor with anyone.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:27 am

RealTalk wrote:
Third time's the charm, eh? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:27 am

looks familiar.

/subscribed.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:29 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I got into Princeton and waitlisted at Harvard for undergrad and have been bitter about it to this day EVENTHOUGH at the time Princeton was ahead of Harvard in the ranking.

I really only care about which school impresses people more. HLS does that w/o a doubt.

BTW my sister got into Harvard and anytime people ask us where we went to school......I say I'm going to Princeton and they're impressed.......then my sister says Harvard and no one even cares about what I said anymore

the power Harvard has over the psyche of the lay person is CRAZY

I would never pass up Harvard for any school.
I'm glad that you're going to law school for all the right reasons.

Bear, thanks for the great laugh

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 am

Leraa, contrary to popular opinion I think it is worthwhile to feed the trolls.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 am

this guy is a professional flamer in progress, i like how he covers all the bases starting with a weak controversial storyline and then proceeds to cover subjects such as affirmative action, self-entitlement, allusions to dragon ball z, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:32 am

$1.99 wrote:this guy is a professional flamer in progress, i like how he covers all the bases starting with a weak controversial storyline and then proceeds to cover subjects such as affirmative action, self-entitlement, allusions to dragon ball z, etc.
Asha?!?!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:32 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Leraa, contrary to popular opinion I think it is worthwhile to feed the trolls.
+1

ali & ali

New

Post by ali & ali » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 am

The OP isn't crazy for wanting to pick HLS over YLS, but he is crazy to base his preference solely on the lay prestige of the institution.

I've been accepted to HLS and haven't yet heard back from YLS (since November!!), so I'm not in any position to criticize YLS. I will say, however, that at this point with the caliber of these schools, it's all personal preference. If you want to have a better shot at incredible heights in the legal profession (SCOTUS, professorship, etc), then I think Yale would be the place for you. If you want to be surrounded by a small, but incredibly smart and talented group of people in an intimate atmosphere of legal education (law-themed gargoyles!), Yale's also probably the place for you.

I have no earthly idea what exactly I want to do, but I know that it's going to be international and possibly multidisciplinary (not strictly legal). Harvard's endless options in terms of courses, people and international opportunities, as well as its international reach, make it a more attractive school to me than Yale. But keep in mind that this decision is catered to a very basic idea of where my career will take me, not on how many girls I want to sleep with or how many "lay people" I want to impress.

So are you crazy for wanting to pick HLS over YLS? No. But you would be crazy if the only criteria you used to make that decision were based on reactions you got from people on the street who will probably have nothing to do with your career. Good luck.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 am

No one should ever feel entitled to HLS but it pains me that a URM with stats such as yours feels entitled to a HLS acceptance. Regardless of your Princeton undergrad background, according to your posts you are about to reach the 2 month mark of hearing absolutely nothing from HLS. I think you can guess what that means...rejected or held at best. I don't know if this is a facade that the internet so readily facilitates, but I would bet that you must not be feeling as confident as you would like to convey.

I'm usually not this scathing, but your asshole tendencies failed to escape me. Acquire some humility before your imminent HLS WL/reject provides it for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pa.wink

New

Post by pa.wink » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:49 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:this guy is a professional flamer in progress, i like how he covers all the bases starting with a weak controversial storyline and then proceeds to cover subjects such as affirmative action, self-entitlement, allusions to dragon ball z, etc.
Asha?!?!
Hilarious.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:39 am

r6_philly wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
u got a problem about wanting to making loads of money.....sleeping with fine women.......and being around important people???
Many intelligent people have been able to do all these things without the benefit of any higher education. If you feel like you need a HLS degree (and not a YLS degree) to accomplish these, you must be woefully incompetent/inadequate.
Seriously, I don't think a Harvard degree is going to significanlty change the amount of women who want to sleep with you. Lots of money, yes, being important...perhaps...depends... but I don't know many Harvard anything grads that get lots of fine women. The ones that do would get them anyway.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 am

Joga Bonito wrote:I don't know many Harvard anything grads that get lots of fine women. The ones that do would get them anyway.
--ImageRemoved--

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 am

RealTalk wrote:
that's "saiyan", get it right or gtfo

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:No one should ever feel entitled to HLS but it pains me that a URM with stats such as yours feels entitled to a HLS acceptance. Regardless of your Princeton undergrad background, according to your posts you are about to reach the 2 month mark of hearing absolutely nothing from HLS. I think you can guess what that means...rejected or held at best. I don't know if this is a facade that the internet so readily facilitates, but I would bet that you must not be feeling as confident as you would like to convey.

I'm usually not this scathing, but your asshole tendencies failed to escape me. Acquire some humility before your imminent HLS WL/reject provides it for you.
I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way but my app is soo good that I would be shocked if I got rejected or waitlisted. Professor Cornell West (who I know very well) wrote me a glowing rec. I've overcome obstacles in my personal life that many here could never imagine. I'm sure these have been a major catalyst by more great cycle so far.

And I don't feel entitled to HLS in any way its just always been my dream school. All of you that got your panies in a bunch thinking I'm trying to flame have got it wrong. I just want the Harvard mystique and thats all I care about cause IMO for what I want to accomplish in law (being partner at V5 firms and SCOTUS clerk) Harvard and Yale are the same. Harvards exceeds Yale IMO cause the lay prestige is so much better.

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:10 am

Joga Bonito wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
u got a problem about wanting to making loads of money.....sleeping with fine women.......and being around important people???
Many intelligent people have been able to do all these things without the benefit of any higher education. If you feel like you need a HLS degree (and not a YLS degree) to accomplish these, you must be woefully incompetent/inadequate.
Seriously, I don't think a Harvard degree is going to significanlty change the amount of women who want to sleep with you. Lots of money, yes, being important...perhaps...depends... but I don't know many Harvard anything grads that get lots of fine women. The ones that do would get them anyway.
you'll be surprised dude

I've picked up several good looking girls from clubs simply by telling them i'm a princeton grad. They were in the 7-8 range.

I can only imagine what caliber of females I'll be able to scoop up with HLS on my resume. 8)

I'm thinking dimes everyday. I'm tall and athletic so its not really that hard in the first place but showing these females how fat my bank account will be in a couple of years makes its alot easier.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:13 am

RealTalk wrote:
you'll be surprised dude

I've picked up several good looking girls from clubs simply by telling them i'm a princeton grad. They were in the 7-8 range.

I can only imagine what caliber of females I'll be able to scoop up with HLS on my resume. 8)

I'm thinking dimes everyday. I'm tall and athletic so its not really that hard in the first place but showing these females how fat my bank account will be in a couple of years makes its alot easier.
--ImageRemoved--

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:17 am

RealTalk wrote:
you'll be surprised dude

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”