I need help on my LOCI Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jason321123

New

I need help on my LOCI

Post by Jason321123 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 am

I am not trying to be arrogant but I desperately need some advice as to what I should be putting in my LOIC for the waitlist decision at the University of Texas, Austin. (I have a 164 and a 3.72 as my scores) I also have a couple of considerable softs, such as working in Korea teaching underprivileged children English for a year, a legal internship helping in cases human trafficking, and decent work experience (about 3 years). I am also a Texas resident.

Anyways, I was wondering if it would be over the top or outrageous to state that I could and would put down the FULL first year tuition if given an opportunity to. This is one of the top schools of my choice if not the top choice for various reasons aside from the school's ranking. Location is one of the significant reasons as I have obligations with my family businesses which reside in state. Also, the likelihood of me practicing in state is VERY high. I have been blessed with a relatively strong financial situation and would be able to pay the tuition in full for the first year given the opportunity. I cannot think of a more definite expression of sincerity to go to this school, especially in this economy. (I apologize if I've offended anyone or seem callous.) I could definitely use any help or advice on this issue. I really want to go to this school and if this will help me or even remotely give me an advantage, I would take it.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Re: I need help on my LOCI

Post by Sangiovese » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 pm

I don't think I would state, "I'll write a check right now" as my expression of interest. It just smells too much of.... used car dealership negotiation tactics.

Something along the lines of, "UT is my absolute top choice and I will definitely attend if offered a seat in the fall class." It implies that you are willing to pay sticker - without having to specifically mention it.

I wouldn't write that statement unless you are absolutely willing to attend the school in question - but it sounds like that is the case here.

Jason321123

New

Post by Jason321123 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Firstly, thank you for your opinion and I appreciate it. I agree with that the statement might come off as a used-car dealership type of vibe. I would try to make as unoffensive as possible. However, I desperately want to attend this school and also would like to state my commitment in attending this school given the opportunity to do so. I feel this would convey my sincerity and STRONG desire to attend this school in a manner that (again not trying to offend anyone) very few students currently have the liberty to do so.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I would NOT say anything like that, however worded. It just sounds wrong on so many levels. If you want to stress your devotion, word the "I will definitely attend" part differently. For example you can add something like: if accepted I will withdraw my applications from all other schools.

Jason321123

New

Post by Jason321123 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks Hattori. That does make a lot more sense and also conveys my deep sincerity to go to this school. I appreciate your advice. Hopefully I'll be able to get in...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:47 am

Try something like this:

Hello,

As you may or may not know I am exceedingly wealthy. In fact I am so wealthy that I would immediately pay my entire first year tuition and donate a large sum of money to the school if offered a seat. When I see poor people I feel sick and want you to know that I am rich and when you see me you'll feel rich too. Please?

--Captain Moneybags

Jason321123

New

Post by Jason321123 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:22 am

Lol. Gasp! Alas, my secret identity has been revealed! I'm sorry sir, but it appears that I must "dispose" of you in the most polite of fashions. However, thanks for the laugh,

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:31 am

Heres what I'm doing for my biggest reach...which was recommended to me by a guy that got into a t-20 really late off wait list 2 years ago..

Send in the general LOCI now, kissing ass and stating that they are your first choice and always have been. Send an email to the Dean restating those sentiments around April 15. If the waiting game gets to May, send another email (and call the Dean) to tell that that you will be out of country for about a week. Tell them that If, in that time, your name is pulled off the wait list, you are authorizing them to place you in the accepted & attending category. You will respond to confirm when you return, but you that the decision has always been firm in your mind.

The guy that told me this plan of action said he got it from someone else who had been in the same position, etc. etc. I guess it just reaffirms in their mind your sincerity. They probably will not fill you in w/o you responding, but it is a nice touch.

lawschool10

New

Post by lawschool10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm

When you send in a LOCI do you submit it as an email to the admissions office or do you send it as an official letter to be added to your file? What are some things that should be included? ANY advice would be appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:11 pm

lawschool10 wrote:When you send in a LOCI do you submit it as an email to the admissions office or do you send it as an official letter to be added to your file? What are some things that should be included? ANY advice would be appreciated.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=27169

Jason321123

New

Post by Jason321123 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 am

Actually, not to be mean to hotdoglaw, I've been saving money since my first semester in undergrad. Yes, I have middle-class parents, but they're not paying for my law school in its entirety, rather they're MATCHING what I've saved for law school. I've been preparing to go to law school since then and UT has been one of the top choices on my list consistently for the past couple of years. I have lived like a beggar for the past 2 years and saved every penny in my savings account for this opportunity. In consideration with how the economy is, I think this is a relatively valid argument to say that I am determined to go to this school and would be more than glad to drop that check in order to go to the school of my choice.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Jason321123 wrote:Actually, not to be mean to hotdoglaw, I've been saving money since my first semester in undergrad. Yes, I have middle-class parents, but they're not paying for my law school in its entirety, rather they're MATCHING what I've saved for law school. I've been preparing to go to law school since then and UT has been one of the top choices on my list consistently for the past couple of years. I have lived like a beggar for the past 2 years and saved every penny in my savings account for this opportunity. In consideration with how the economy is, I think this is a relatively valid argument to say that I am determined to go to this school and would be more than glad to drop that check in order to go to the school of my choice.
Sounds like your mind was made up before you ever posted. Hope things work out for you.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 pm

I think that you should just print your LOCI out on the back of a blank check ... don't forget to indicate that they have authority to fill it in and cash it for any amount they wish. :lol:

1) UT doesn't care about getting that $$$ specifically from you.
2) They already have that $$$ accounted for on their books because it is going to come in from someone.
3) The only thing that you can actually contribute to UT is you, so write about that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jason321123

New

Post by Jason321123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:04 am

Can anyone give me opinions on my LOCI for UT Austin, School of Law

March 2X, 2010

University of Texas at Austin School of Law
727 East Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX. 78705

Dear Monica Ingram, Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid:

I am writing to reiterate my interest in attending University of Texas at Austin School of Law. Aside from being a nationally renowned law school, I sincerely believe that this school is an excellent fit for my interests in law. I am particularly interested in several distinct opportunities that the University of Texas, Austin School of Law can provide. One such opportunity is the human rights and immigration clinics. I worked a summer in 2006 as an intern at XXX in XXXX. I did legal translations from XXXX to English and vice versa and helped with the affidavits for a federal investigation on human trafficking in order to help the victims receive Green Cards. The victims were brought illegally and extorted for money and some eventually were forced into prostitution. I have seen firsthand and heard testimonies of how difficult it is for immigrants in this country. As a second generation immigrant in this country, I feel it is important that I should give back. My parents have encouraged me to do so, and that is the reason why I have spent the past year volunteering time and money in XXXXXX for various charitable organizations while teaching underprivileged children English as a foreign language. The job was provided by the XXXX government to assist in teaching underprivileged children remedial English and speech. I feel that these two clinics will give an invaluable experience in my legal career. One of my mentors in law, XXXX, an alumni of 04, told me to try to achieve as many different legal experiences and perspectives before choosing a field of specialization. This seems to be the consensus among most of my seniors in law.
In addition to my interest in the clinical studies programs, I feel that I will bring a unique perspective to University of Texas at Austin School of Law community. Due to my unique background, I will bring a different perspective to the community. My circumstances have significantly hardened my resolve and determination to go to law school and succeed in law. I have been saving money to attend law school since my first semester at UT. I have been working for my parents throughout these years so that I could earn whatever money I could to pay for my anticipated schooling. The past year in XXXX, while I was working with the government, I saved nearly every penny that I could to contribute to my school savings. For nearly a year, I ate the same food (rice, a can of tuna, and fruit) everyday to save a measly 3 dollars. Those were three additional dollars that I was determined to spend on my legal education and my future. I have wanted to attend this law school since my undergraduate years and have done everything within my power to prepare both mentally and financially.
I also wanted to take this opportunity to update my application. Since submitting my application in the fall, I have been volunteering more time to various organizations as well as been privately tutoring in XXXXXX.
University of Texas at Austin School of Law remains as the top choice on my list of schools. The programs offered fit extremely well with my legal interests. Texas, specifically, Austin, is a place I can see myself living in the long term. I plan on living and working within the state of Texas as I would like to stay close to my parents and my obligations to our family businesses. The student body at UT is one that I will not only learn a great deal from but also contribute a great deal to. If selected from the waitlist and given the opportunity to attend, I would immediately withdraw my applications to all other schools and would ecstatically use the entirety of my savings that I have set aside for my law school expenses. I would be honored to be offered a chance to be a Longhorn once more and would be grateful to be a part of the class of 2013. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
XXX
Last edited by Jason321123 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:11 am

You should take you name out of this before someone quotes it.

To comment, you don't get to the meat (i.e. "I will def go if offered a seat!") until paragraph 3. That statement is what they'll be looking for if they read your letter. They'll make a pile of "will definitely attend if offered seat from waitlist no matter what," and "may not attend even if offered seat from waitlist." You want your letter to be in the right pile, so make it up front and clear that you're a texas student the second they give you the go.

Jason321123

New

Post by Jason321123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:17 am

Much appreciated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”