Which law schools have the best LAY prestige? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
showNprove

Silver

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Post by showNprove » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 am

js87 wrote:A lot of people deride lay prestige as being irrelevant or nothing more than an ego boost, but I think lay prestige is definitely valuable. If you're going for a career in biglaw then, by all means, it's pretty inconsequential. In that case, the USNWR rankings and your class rank are the important factors.

If you want to work for a smaller firm then it IS important. Do you honestly think that most partners at small firms read the USNWR like a bible? They don't know who ranked #6 this year. They know which schools they perceive to be "good". Many of those "good" schools, of course, are T-14 or well ranked, but there is definitely regional variation.

Furthermore, if you want to work as a solo or start a firm then lay prestige can be beneficial. Joe Schmo might be perusing your website when looking for a local attorney for X matter and be impressed with your credentials.

It's also important in politics, if that's your ambition.
I worked for a very small firm for three summers. Spent a lot of time at the courthouse in a small Pa. county, mingling with the DA's and PD's. When they asked me where I was going to law school, and I told them "Virginia," they all asked, "UVA?" When I told them yes, they all exclaimed something along the lines of "wow" or "fancy"--even though UVA has almost no lay prestige outside the state.

The point is, even the county PD's, even in small areas, even outside of the school's region, and even the ones who went to Tier 3 and 4 schools, will still know what the top schools are.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am

Sogui wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I didn't know UVA, NYU, or WUSTL existed a year and a half ago.

I considered Duke and Vandy to be private schools that were known only for sports.

I didn't know Penn, or Columbia was ivy league, but I assumed Columbia was a great school anyway.
I want to find whatever rock you were living under.
The Midwest. Of my high school class of 550, only two went to the ivy league for college (Dartmouth and Cornell), and only 5 or 6 even applied. Kids with rich parents applied to Northwestern, kids with middle class parents applied to Illinois.

When I researched colleges, I was looking at engineering schools and none of the above have good engineering programs. My state school was one of the best engineering universities in the country, my parents could barely afford it, so I only applied to it, and two safeties.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:30 am

SimplyC26 wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:HYS, Columbia, NYU, [strike]Northwestern[/strike], [strike]Duke[/strike], Penn, [strike]Georgetown[/strike], Berkeley, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UCLA, [strike]USC[/strike], [strike]Notre Dame, Tulane, BYU, Wake, Boston College, William & Mary[/strike]
Are you kidding? Duke has ridiculous lay prestige. It is almost universally recognized as the premier institution in the south.
The south? What/where is that?

cariberry

New

Post by cariberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:23 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
SimplyC26 wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:HYS, Columbia, NYU, [strike]Northwestern[/strike], [strike]Duke[/strike], Penn, [strike]Georgetown[/strike], Berkeley, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UCLA, [strike]USC[/strike], [strike]Notre Dame, Tulane, BYU, Wake, Boston College, William & Mary[/strike]
Are you kidding? Duke has ridiculous lay prestige. It is almost universally recognized as the premier institution in the south.
The south? What/where is that?
It's a mythical land of grits and country music.

flman70

New

Post by flman70 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Most overrated law schools due exclusively to their lay prestige:

1. Emory
2. Washington & Lee
3. William & Mary
4. UNC
5. Wake Forest
6. BC
7. Notre Dame

People who are totally unfamiliar with law school rankings would likely believe you're a stud if you mentioned your enrollment in any of the aforementioned law schools. I included ND because, while their law school is impressive, it does not even begin to approach its undergraduate reputation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:06 pm

flman70 wrote:Most overrated law schools due exclusively to their lay prestige:

1. Emory
2. Washington & Lee
3. William & Mary
4. UNC
5. Wake Forest
6. BC
7. Notre Dame

People who are totally unfamiliar with law school rankings would likely believe you're a stud if you mentioned your enrollment in any of the aforementioned law schools. I included ND because, while their law school is impressive, it does not even begin to approach its undergraduate reputation.
Do W&L/W&M/even BC have that much lay prestige, though? I'd argue their law schools' placement power is roughly in line with their lay prestige.

Agreed though on Emory and Notre Dame. Their (undergrad) lay prestige far outstrips their law schools' placement power.

On the flip side, Chicago and NYU are heavily underrated on the lay-prestige front, NYU especially.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”