Emailing your LOCI? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
burtonrideclub

Bronze

Emailing your LOCI?

Post by burtonrideclub » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 am

I know TLS advocate's using snail mail, but I'm living in China and that is going to be a pretty big pain in the ass. I understand the benefits of sending a letter as opposed to an email, but are they so great that I should go through the trouble of sending international mail?

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Re: Emailing your LOCI?

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:48 am

It is preferable to snail mail. This is because they have to actually open it and put it in your file. An email could be glanced at, and there is no telling if it will end up where you want it to (in front of an influential member of the adcomm). That said, I don't think emailing is inappropriate. It's just not quite as personal, and not quite as professional looking. Email is better for a shortened mention of continued interest after you have already mailed your first LOCI (or while you are under review). You might send a really short email, and then mention that a more thorough explanation for your reasons of wanting to attend is on the way in the mail.

As an aside, I really don't think it is that much of a pain to mail it from China. One of my LORs came from overseas. It didn't take that long. You could also send it as a PDF to a friend in the US and have them mail it for you. If anything, sending one from China would be memorable to them, and show that you are dedicated, even from such a distance.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:21 am

burtonrideclub wrote:I know TLS advocate's using snail mail, but I'm living in China and that is going to be a pretty big pain in the ass. I understand the benefits of sending a letter as opposed to an email, but are they so great that I should go through the trouble of sending international mail?
Call the school and ask what they prefer. Some schools actually prefer e-mail correspondence.

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 pm

Also,

When you say use snail mail are you actually hand writing your letter? Or just printing it out and signing it at the bottom? I realize that hand written is more personal but I have the handwriting of a six year old.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

IMO:

Type the letter, sign in blue ink.

Call the school or look on their website for how they prefer to receive it.

If no preference, E-mail & send it by snail mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”