My LOCI: Timing and Writing Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PlugInBaby

Bronze

My LOCI: Timing and Writing

Post by PlugInBaby » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Background: 3.77/161 from University of Illinois at Chicago...recently waitlisted at Seattle U....very much want to go to school and practice in the Seattle area.

In terms of timing, I have two strategies in my mind. First would be to send the LOCI as soon as possible. Many of the people on the site seem to think that the reason why i was waitlisted had less to do with my credentials and more to do with a sense that I never planned on attending the school anyway (it is one of my top choices actually). Alternatively, I can send the LOCI at the end of March, when I would have a better idea of where I stand in the other schools I applied to. In addition per the Seattle U wait list FAQs, they do not make decisions on the waitlisted until April.

As for what the write, I was thinking in terms of my interest in the school expounding about how the city of Seattle is my ideal place to live and practice as well as about my visit to the school. In terms of what I would add to the school, I would elaborate about how I was able to do a lot with a little and graduating college without debt despite being from a lower middle class family and putting family first by foregoing more prestigious universities and study abroad programs so I can go to college and keep a part time job to help with household bills.

Thoughts and criticisms would be much appreciated.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Re: My LOCI: Timing and Writing

Post by insidethetwenty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Make sure you make specific references to what you like about their academic programs there. I wouldn't spend too much time on wanting to live/work in Seattle. You want them to know that you are interested in their school and their programs, not just their primary market.

If I were you, I'd write one now and at the end of March. More than those two is probably too many, but one now says "I'm still interested despite the fact that you just WLed me" and the one in March says "two months later, I'm still here and I'm still interested".

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Re: My LOCI: Timing and Writing

Post by PlugInBaby » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:Make sure you make specific references to what you like about their academic programs there. I wouldn't spend too much time on wanting to live/work in Seattle. You want them to know that you are interested in their school and their programs, not just their primary market.

If I were you, I'd write one now and at the end of March. More than those two is probably too many, but one now says "I'm still interested despite the fact that you just WLed me" and the one in March says "two months later, I'm still here and I'm still interested".
My biggest fear about sending two LOCIs is that there most likely will be nothing new about myself to report on. Ever since I graduated from college, I have not been able to find a job and my biggest accomplishment was losing 20 pounds...something I really don't think the adcomm cares about. I could focus on two dofferent things on each LOCI...perhaps talk about overcoming being in special education for all but one year of my k-12 experience in one and my resourcefulness in graduating undergrad without debt in the other?

In addition, I had to fill out a survey supplied by the school to remind them of my interest....would a LOCI right after that be overkill?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”