employment opp. from WVU College of law? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
army_of_one

New

employment opp. from WVU College of law?

Post by army_of_one » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:31 am

Alright, before the flaming starts, i know that WVU is (currently) a tier 4 school but my plans have always been to stay in-state and take advantage of the cheaper tuition (plus I really love this state). My problem is this, with WVU being the only law school in the state, just HOW GOOD would my chances be at landing a job with a medium-small firm!?

I know a lot of the local law firms recruit hard from the school, but there are only so many law firms out there! Any WVU alum comments would be greatly appreciated!

oberlin08

Bronze

Re: employment opp. from WVU College of law?

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:37 am

army_of_one wrote:Alright, before the flaming starts, i know that WVU is (currently) a tier 4 school but my plans have always been to stay in-state and take advantage of the cheaper tuition (plus I really love this state). My problem is this, with WVU being the only law school in the state, just HOW GOOD would my chances be at landing a job with a medium-small firm!?

I know a lot of the local law firms recruit hard from the school, but there are only so many law firms out there! Any WVU alum comments would be greatly appreciated!

do well and im sure you will be fine.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:40 am

army_of_one wrote:Alright, before the flaming starts, i know that WVU is (currently) a tier 4 school but my plans have always been to stay in-state and take advantage of the cheaper tuition (plus I really love this state). My problem is this, with WVU being the only law school in the state, just HOW GOOD would my chances be at landing a job with a medium-small firm!?

WVU sucks. Go Herd.

That being said, the "big" firms in Charleston hire a lot of WVU grads, as do County Prosecutors' offices, etc. The last time I looked at the starting salaries in WV (using say Goodwin and Goodwin or Spilman Thomas as examples), they were around 70k.

I also know at least two WVU grads from this class who weren't able to find legal work. It's better than going to Appalachian College of Law, but I wouldn't consider WVU without subtantial no-strings attached scholly money.

The take-away: WVU still sucks.

army_of_one

New

Post by army_of_one » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:47 am

Well, i'm not too worried about the scholarships (thank you post 9/11 GI-Bill!) as I am the amount of jobs open. I know the national market for law services has slowed down in step with the rest of the economy but WV seems to weather these storms a little different than other states.

But thank you for the info and you're welcome for Doc Holliday...it was a late Christmas present from your big brother in Morgantown! LMAO

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 am

Good luck, although you shouldn't need it. Your presence on TLS indicates you can read, which should secure you at least top 25% of the class at WVU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PWFan

New

Post by PWFan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:53 am

You know you're not going to get a lot of love on these boards for WVU. However, if you're from WV you probably sense that it really doesn't put you at a disadvantage. Its the only law school in the fair state, and it seems everyone and his brother is a WVU College of Law alum. I know a few lawyers who have out of state degrees, but its the exception rather than the rule. I'm currently at WVU and really enjoy it. You'll be fine. Let's go Mountaineers!

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:03 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Good luck, although you shouldn't need it. Your presence on TLS indicates you can read, which should secure you at least top 25% of the class at WVU.
+1 Morgantown is a pit.

army_of_one

New

Post by army_of_one » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:07 pm

it's a college town...they're all pretty much pits!

there's not really any other option for law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”