2 LSAT Score Addendum Help! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sdf13

New

2 LSAT Score Addendum Help!

Post by sdf13 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi all,

New to this site, submitting applications in the next few days and just need a bit of help on an addendum issue.

I took the LSAT several years ago and got a score that did not at all reflect my abilities. I had a very good GPA in college, and when I retook the test 5 years later, I just a much higher score.

Most of the schools I'm applying to say they take the higher score only, but some have room on the applications for an addendum.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to write one, since I don't really have any great reasons I didn't do well, and even if I did I couldn't see how it would help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: 2 LSAT Score Addendum Help!

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 pm

I think since five years have passed that will speak for itself. I wouldn't worry about an addendum.

kurguzy

New

Post by kurguzy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Usually schools want LSAT scores within 5 years so the first score would not be under consideration. I don't think you need to write an addendum.

sdf13

New

Post by sdf13 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 pm

A second question...if I do write one, does it help or hurt to mention that on my practice tests the first time around I was scoring in a much higher range?

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:40 pm

If you do decide to write one, keep it short. A three to four sentence paragraph should suffice. A Harvard law school admissions rep came to my school and discussed this very topic. She informed us that people get in trouble when they say too much. It may come across like you are making excuses or not accepting responsibility. You should be able to get your point across in 3-4 sentences.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EzraStiles

New

Post by EzraStiles » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:43 pm

sdf13 wrote:A second question...if I do write one, does it help or hurt to mention that on my practice tests the first time around I was scoring in a much higher range?
I'm sorry OP, but why would it possibly help your case that you choked on test day 5 years ago?

sdf13

New

Post by sdf13 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 pm

It would be something like:

When I first took the LSAT in 2004, I did not score nearly as high as I believed I was capable of and that practice tests has indicated I should. For the re-test in 2009, I prepared differently and was able to score significantly higher. I feel that the current score is much more in line with my capabilities as a future law student.

But to me that seems like it doesn't really say anything, but I know that sometimes the bigger the disparity (mine was 11 points and 30 percentage points) the closer they tend to look, is that right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”