Delayed Letter of Recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anonymous119

New

Delayed Letter of Recommendation

Post by anonymous119 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:55 pm

So here's my dilemma: one of my recommenders JUST recently turned in his letter of recommendation (after me reminding him about it for almost 3 months) and I'm not sure what day it'll be by the time it's processed (anyone know how long it takes from CA?). Given the fact that I'm already "late" in the cycle, I was just wondering if I should re-consider applying to some of my reaches. I have a 165 with a 3.7 GPA. Will this significantly hurt my chances?
By the way, the reaches I'm referring to are UCLA, USC, and Washington U. Thanks!

UF Gators

Bronze

Re: Delayed Letter of Recommendation

Post by UF Gators » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Tell them to fax it it asap, don't wait for it to be mailed over there. I am having the same issue.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 pm

I had one of my Recs fax it over last Wednesday and it's still not uploaded on LSAC even after calling them and emailing them. All they said was that 'it'll be uploaded when it's uploaded.'

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 pm

HerseyChris wrote:I had one of my Recs fax it over last Wednesday and it's still not uploaded on LSAC even after calling them and emailing them. All they said was that 'it'll be uploaded when it's uploaded.'
Ahhh, don't tell me this! But it will probably still be quicker than waiting for the mailed copy to post to your account.

anonymous119

New

Post by anonymous119 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Anyone out there with more supportable information?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 pm

i had this issue in novemeber. It was faxed, and posted within the same day. Just fax it again.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Unfortunately, this delay isn't unusual. In my experience, it took about two weeks for absolutely everything that I turned in to be processed (as an aside, one of those letters came from overseas). But I applied early enough that I don't think it was too big of a deal for me. But, give yourself 2-3 weeks to be safe.

With regards to the schools, I think you have a *reasonable* chance at WUSTL, mainly because they generally won't ever deny anyone until all apps are in, usually in mid-March. This gives them a chance to hold off and think about some of the latecomers. Although it is still to your advantage to apply earlier, the rolling admissions there are slightly more lenient.

I don't know enough about UCLA/USC to adequately address how a late application would affect your chances there. As with most schools, I imagine an earlier application would be better. But a later one hurts more at some than it does at others.

On an unrelated note, are you sure you feel comfortable with the letter of recommendation that this person sent? Unless they are really that far behind, or an unusual slacker, the people who think better of you and "go to bat for you" in referrals usually don't need to have their arm twisted in and out for 3 months before producing the letter that is supposed to help you. Or they were entirely oblivious to how pressing the time constraint was becoming. Just food for thought.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:31 am

same boat... going to kill someone at lsac or an old professor...not sure who's more annoying...

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 am

I asked both of my primary recommenders to fax their letters. I explained why in detail. Now, the letters still have not shown up, which prompted me to call the recommenders. The one I have managed to get ahold of cheerily mentioned that he did not have access to a fax machine at the moment and he dropped it off in the mail instead.

Arghh! I should have done this earlier, though. CMON MAIL AND LSAC. I NEED MY APPS OUT!!! (Cries)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:I asked both of my primary recommenders to fax their letters. I explained why in detail. Now, the letters still have not shown up, which prompted me to call the recommenders. The one I have managed to get ahold of cheerily mentioned that he did not have access to a fax machine at the moment and he dropped it off in the mail instead.

Arghh! I should have done this earlier, though. CMON MAIL AND LSAC. I NEED MY APPS OUT!!! (Cries)
Hunt him down for another signed copy and fax it yourself.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:01 am

im_blue wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:I asked both of my primary recommenders to fax their letters. I explained why in detail. Now, the letters still have not shown up, which prompted me to call the recommenders. The one I have managed to get ahold of cheerily mentioned that he did not have access to a fax machine at the moment and he dropped it off in the mail instead.

If I was within several hundred miles of him, I would :) ...... :(.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:
im_blue wrote:

+1

haleydee

New

Post by haleydee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Can you not apply to schools until all of the LORs are in and processed?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:45 pm

anonymous119

New

Post by anonymous119 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 pm

haleydee wrote:Can you not apply to schools until all of the LORs are in and processed?
Anyone have any information on this?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:15 pm

haleydee wrote:Can you not apply to schools until all of the LORs are in and processed?
You can't apply to schools unless you have the minimum number of LORs required for each school.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:
im_blue wrote:

+1
+ another one, My academic LOR was mailed last Monday, my employer faxed it on Wednesday, I called and emailed Friday and they said it'll take 7-10 business days. My app (one of only two) is due this Friday. I know I should have had the LOR out earlier, but I told them in October and asked if they could finish by December and pestered them (as much as you can without being annoying). What a hassle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justme13

New

Post by justme13 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 pm

I am having the same problem. Only one of my LOR has posted and LSAC seems to be closed today. I was advised to send my apps anyway and LSAC would simply send my additional letters as they are processed. Was this bad advice? Do you think it will hurt my chances? I applied to 13 schools already.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:09 pm

justme13 wrote:I am having the same problem. Only one of my LOR has posted and LSAC seems to be closed today. I was advised to send my apps anyway and LSAC would simply send my additional letters as they are processed. Was this bad advice? Do you think it will hurt my chances? I applied to 13 schools already.
I'm guessing no. I'm required to have 2 LOR though so, that's my dilemma.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:33 pm

You can apply. Your apps. will even go complete and adcomms can begin reviewing you but you're still going to be admitted after other people who have the same numbers and their shit turned in.

What's weird is that some of the school's I have applied to have status checkers that claim they in fact require 0 LOR's when I know that LSAC specifically told me they asked for 2. And the thing is, if its 0, I think I'm going to be angrier than I am at having to aquire 2 LOR's (because I hate asking people for stuff).

I've been tearing my hair out waiting for these things and if its 0...I'm driving somewhere and hitting someone in the face (not really).

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 pm

--LinkRemoved--

The LOR requirements and suggestions are all straight from the schools. It's a pretty awesome reference - I haven't closed it off my tabs in 4 days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anonymous119

New

Post by anonymous119 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 am

So let me get this straight: you can still apply even though the required number of letters hasn't been met?

Also, if the letter is "supposed" to have arrived by tomorrow, will it show up on LSAC as being "processed"?

anonymous119

New

Post by anonymous119 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 am

+ another one, My academic LOR was mailed last Monday, my employer faxed it on Wednesday, I called and emailed Friday and they said it'll take 7-10 business days. My app (one of only two) is due this Friday. I know I should have had the LOR out earlier, but I told them in October and asked if they could finish by December and pestered them (as much as you can without being annoying). What a hassle.[/quote]

Wait you mailed it last week and it's taking this long to process?
I'm so screwed...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 am

anonymous119 wrote:So let me get this straight: you can still apply even though the required number of letters hasn't been met?

Also, if the letter is "supposed" to have arrived by tomorrow, will it show up on LSAC as being "processed"?
You can apply (send in your application with personal info, resume, PS, etc) at any time, even without LORs, transcripts, and an LSAT score. You won't go complete without them, though.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 am

so, if you apply but aren't complete - does that count as being in before the deadline?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”