Getting current boss to write rec? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thekingiv

New

Getting current boss to write rec?

Post by thekingiv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:56 pm

I just began to fill out the LOR form on LSAC.org (is this the right place to do the LOR's?).

I graduated in 2008 from college and am now the Director of Fundraising at a non-profit. After working in this industry, I've decided I'd like to move on to other things eventually, thus the desire for law school. Is it "unprofessional" to ask my current boss (CEO) to write me a rec for law schools? I do not want to be offensive in any way. She is a big fan of me and I'm sure would say great things.

2 LOR's are necessary, correct? If I do it through LSAC, will they be sent out to the law schools I apply to?

tesoro

Bronze

Re: Getting current boss to write rec?

Post by tesoro » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 pm

thekingiv wrote:I just began to fill out the LOR form on LSAC.org (is this the right place to do the LOR's?).

I graduated in 2008 from college and am now the Director of Fundraising at a non-profit. After working in this industry, I've decided I'd like to move on to other things eventually, thus the desire for law school. Is it "unprofessional" to ask my current boss (CEO) to write me a rec for law schools? I do not want to be offensive in any way. She is a big fan of me and I'm sure would say great things.

2 LOR's are necessary, correct? If I do it through LSAC, will they be sent out to the law schools I apply to?
I think that it depends on your relationship with your boss, and the nature of the business. There is high turnover at my office, and as such my boss happily wrote one for me because it isn't out of the norm for employees to go off to school. So my thought is that you're going to have to gauge her reaction on your own.

# of LORs vary by school - check their websites. LSAC will allow you to select which LORs to send to which schools.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:03 pm

I don't think its unprofessional but I would recommend having three recs in that case. Since you graduated fairly recently, law schools would probably value academic recommendations more. My boss offered to write me a rec but since it was already December, I wanted to get my apps in ASAP so I told him to write me one if I end up on a WL. If i were you I would really focus on getting my apps in soon if you are applying this cycle and yes LSAC takes care of everything for you.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:07 am

It is in no way unprofessional.

Schools ask for LOR's from people who can attest to your abilities, character, and comment on how you will handle the rigors of law school. Your boss is in an excellent position to comment.

Sourpunch

Bronze

Post by Sourpunch » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:40 am

I didn't explain further. I already sent in two great LORs from professors at UCLA. This letter comes from my boss, who happens to be a close friend as well and so will write an excellent letter as well. I think it can't hurt, and certainly could help.

Cale39

New

Post by Cale39 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:13 pm

My current boss is leaving to go to Harvard Business School next year, haha, so she didn't have a problem in writing me a rec for law school. The position I am in though is pretty entry level and it's normal for people to move on/get an MBA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”