Post December LSAT Fee Waivers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sibley

Gold

Re: Post December LSAT Fee Waivers

Post by sibley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:32 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
sibley wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:
sibley wrote:
heh. 3.34 here. according to the lsac report, the average at my school is about a 3.5... tons of them had harder majors than me, too... but tons had easier ones as well. I'm just average =D
Your school's AVERAGE was 3.5?? Wow! My school was 3.24 GPA median. I was 82nd percentile with a 3.65 (will be 87th percentile with a 3.75 after an old F from 2007 becomes a LW....very long and strange story).

Yeah... there were under a thousand kids in my class, and it's a research institution... and EVERYONE starts as pre-med (there's no pre-med major though... so they're like... anthropology/bme/poli sci + all the calc and chem and stuff)... basically, they're all smart.
So, can I ask what the incoming ACT/SAT 25/50/75th percentiles were? I'm not questioning your intelligence personally, and your LSAT is high, but I guess as a liberal arts person, I'm always slightly suspicious of the "science=smart" :). I've been derided by too many science majors who see my major (English) as the easy way out, so it has nothing to do with your school or you.
You want the ones from my year or from this year? I have no idea about both but will gladly look it up for you. I can tell you that of the people who took the LSAT, bigger chunks scored 80-84+ than in any of the lower distributions. Also, sorry - I wasn't right about the average GPA. That was the average for the LSAT takers... overall is probably slightly lower than that. But at 3.34 I know my ranking wasn't even worth remembering... though I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in the top 75%.

I should probably also add that we have a very well known conservatory attached to us... and we frequently get the rejects from there. They come to my school so they can still take classes there (and so it's easier to transfer)

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:55 pm

sibley wrote:
You want the ones from my year or from this year? I have no idea about both but will gladly look it up for you. I can tell you that of the people who took the LSAT, bigger chunks scored 80-84+ than in any of the lower distributions. Also, sorry - I wasn't right about the average GPA. That was the average for the LSAT takers... overall is probably slightly lower than that. But at 3.34 I know my ranking wasn't even worth remembering... though I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in the top 75%.

I should probably also add that we have a very well known conservatory attached to us... and we frequently get the rejects from there. They come to my school so they can still take classes there (and so it's easier to transfer)
Yeah I went by the LSAC numbers as well. However, if your school was scoring 80 plus percentile on the LSAT, your school is win. My school's median LSAT was a sad 148 :(. Sigh, says the lower-first tier liberal arts major. However, I was an earlier entering class, and they were more selective then (budget=more students). I think it was 21/23/27 when I enrolled (ACT), and now is 20/21/25.

swm5057

New

Post by swm5057 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
swm5057 wrote:Post-170 LSAT fee waivers I have received so far:

Virginia
Duke (priority track for everyone?)
Northwestern
Georgetown
UCLA
USC (future email application for waiver)
Cardozo
WUSTL
Minnesota
Notre Dame
NYU (letter in big envelope)

Plus some T-30+ schools, but not interested in them at this point.
Gotta ask... Was NYU solicited, unsolicited, hidden? Same for Northwestern.
OK, just got NYU in the mail. It is unsolicited. I think they just want to be able to reject me, but who knows?
Both waivers were unsolicited. Maybe both schools are looking for extra applicants around/above their medians?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:51 pm

I <3 my school. I am glad it is win. Though nowadays it's frustrating. I'm sick of the children, as I am very clearly now an adult. But I've been missing it sadly over winter break. I graduated in May, but my boyfriend is still there and so I still visit frequently.

Here is my school's main page picture from when I went to look up stats for you (and my school, if you stalk):

And here are the averages:

Middle 50% Range for Admitted Students
SAT Critical Reading 610-720
SAT Math 650-750
SAT Writing 620-720
ACT Composite 28-33

their hs gpa was a 3.8... mine was about a 3.5... good thing I got in early?

We're all pre-med, but our majors aren't:
--ImageRemoved--

Today: Tulsa, Illinois, Hamline, Mercer
Last edited by sibley on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:57 pm

I had a 33 on my ACT, 3.76 GPA HS(just like college!) and squandered it. I argued politics with the Yale alumni who interviewed me, and he left in a huff. I thought I'd get into U of Chicago or Northwestern anyways, but somehow didn't. But, all said and done, undergrad was dirt cheap, I liked my school, and what law school I get into is far more important now :).

Thanks for the research - I feel like I need to do some reverse engineering to find out what school this is.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:00 pm

reverse engineering = right clicking on the pictures and following the source...

i got a 32 on the ACT. No one told me it was rocking enough for Ivys. I used to think my HS rocked. Now I think it sucked boogers. Because, in ALL those counselors office visits, and in ALL those appts I rescheduled because she was 'sick,' and in that time I got sent to the principal's office for complaining about it (he said 'yeahhhhh' and let me go), no one told me.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 pm

sibley wrote:reverse engineering = right clicking on the pictures and following the source...

i got a 32 on the ACT. No one told me it was rocking enough for Ivys. I used to think my HS rocked. Now I think it sucked boogers. Because, in ALL those counselors office visits, and in ALL those appts I rescheduled because she was 'sick,' and in that time I got sent to the principal's office for complaining about it (he said 'yeahhhhh' and let me go), no one told me.
Oh, I know all about counselors. I went to a rural high school with a graduating class of 59 (of 68 who could have), and my friend and I had the two highest ACTs in the school's history. They were used to explaining how to get into the local community college. The biggest problem was that they didn't tell me to apply early, and I sent in my apps right before they were due thinking that the schools just started looking at them AFTER the deadline date.

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 pm

I only applied to one college because they visited my highschool and the rep was nice. :lol: Their act score was 17/22, but my high school counselor told me it was a good school and I believed her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

loser148

New

Post by loser148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:36 pm

I sent off a bunch of direct requests this past week. If the school offers them, then they seem to oblige. Some don't and I tried to 'win' them over to no avail. Might be different with SUPER high scores?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 pm

I actually received today an email notification encouraging me to apply and offering me a fee waiver ... the thing is, I have been attending law school here for the past 4 months. I am actually considering applying, LOL!

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:47 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:I had a 33 on my ACT, 3.76 GPA HS(just like college!) and squandered it. I argued politics with the Yale alumni who interviewed me, and he left in a huff. I thought I'd get into U of Chicago or Northwestern anyways, but somehow didn't. But, all said and done, undergrad was dirt cheap, I liked my school, and what law school I get into is far more important now :).

Thanks for the research - I feel like I need to do some reverse engineering to find out what school this is.
jesus, what kind of HS did you go to if you got those grades and were thinking of the ivy league? i had a 34 on the ACT and a 2240 SAT with a 4.3 in high school and i didn't even dream of going to yale. then again i went to public school in california.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 pm

rw2264 wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:I had a 33 on my ACT, 3.76 GPA HS(just like college!) and squandered it. I argued politics with the Yale alumni who interviewed me, and he left in a huff. I thought I'd get into U of Chicago or Northwestern anyways, but somehow didn't. But, all said and done, undergrad was dirt cheap, I liked my school, and what law school I get into is far more important now :).

jesus, what kind of HS did you go to if you got those grades and were thinking of the ivy league? i had a 34 on the ACT and a 2240 SAT with a 4.3 in high school and i didn't even dream of going to yale. then again i went to public school in california.
Well, we graded on a 4.0 max, and I took all the AP classes and such (only Junior to EVER take AP Calc lol). However, Yale's ACT range is 30-34, so I guess I thought it wasn't that much of a longshot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:07 pm

is that sat score good? it was out of 1600 when I took. and they still only judge out of 1600, I hear.

My hs didn't allow above a 4.0 either. It was on the regular 100 scale, actually - had to convert. But Ivy was possible for the few of us who did well. Only we were all poor. So the girl who wanted to go to Brown went to Notre Dame, and someone else who was very smart went to Kent in Ohio. And I went to the nearest city's best college because they gave a substantial scholarship if you were from the region.

gobears09

Bronze

Post by gobears09 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
swm5057 wrote:Post-170 LSAT fee waivers I have received so far:

Virginia
Duke (priority track for everyone?)
Northwestern
Georgetown
UCLA
USC (future email application for waiver)
Cardozo
WUSTL
Minnesota
Notre Dame
NYU (letter in big envelope)

Plus some T-30+ schools, but not interested in them at this point.
Gotta ask... Was NYU solicited, unsolicited, hidden? Same for Northwestern.
OK, just got NYU in the mail. It is unsolicited. I think they just want to be able to reject me, but who knows?

I also got NYU in the mail today, unsolicited.

swm5057

New

Post by swm5057 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:52 pm

USC waiver came in the mail today with a nice viewbook. Requires printing out a page from LSAC and a physical signature. Too bad the football program won't be that good without Pete Carroll :(

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:54 pm

swm5057 wrote:USC waiver came in the mail today with a nice viewbook. Requires printing out a page from LSAC and a physical signature. Too bad the football program won't be that good without Pete Carroll :(
The promise of unappealing sports actually makes me MORE interested in going. The stadium at my undergrad would be completed abandoned if not for visiting teams' fans and the high school events that take place there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:30 am

swm5057 wrote:USC waiver came in the mail today with a nice viewbook. Requires printing out a page from LSAC and a physical signature
Same here, along with Baylor, and a viewbook and a letter encouraging me to apply from Stanford- also included an application for a need-based fee waiver. Annoying, though I was sort of flattered. Who else got this one?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fphoenix85

New

Post by fphoenix85 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 am

I don't know what's come through the mail because it all goes to my parents' house, but my Jan waiver list has been similar:

Illinois
Georgetown
Santa Clara
St. Thomas
UCLA
Denver
Minnesota
Pepperdine
Cincinnati
Virginia

imnion

New

Post by imnion » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:17 am

IAFG wrote:fair enough. and for all i know northern iowa university hands them out like candy. my personal beef with LSAC grade conversion is that retaken classes count if your UG leaves the grade visible on your transcript, but don't if your UG supresses them. that policy cost me .05 and will probably be the difference btw me being in or out at NYU.
I can assure you the University of Northern Iowa does not. In fact, I don't think they have A+s at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Columbia just came in through email. Unsolicited.
I got one too, but I got it too late, I can't be subject to their calendar.

flowerpot

New

Post by flowerpot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:43 pm

So....would it be rude to email a school and ask when they will be sending out unsolicited fee waivers if I know they haven't sent any out yet?????? haha

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Penn just got to me. Damn. Now I have to consider whether to write that extra essay and submit or not. I was just going to ignore Penn before.

Edit: 3.78/178, for those keeping score.
Last edited by BenJ on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”