Diversity statement topic (PTSD)? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Diversity statement topic (PTSD)?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:35 am

This might have been discussed before, but would being a victim of sexual assault be accepted as "diverse" for a diversity statement? I'm a white male, but I was sexually abused as a child and dealt with PTSD for years until I finally got treatment for it last year. I also have bipolar (which apparently doesn't count as diverse), but I was thinking of writing about how I had to deal with the massive stigma of being male assault victims and how I seek to encourage others to do the same through my work (my academics are fine so it didn't affect that, but I did struggle with socialization and suicidal stuff for many years before getting treated for PTSD). Is this a viable "diversity", or should I just write about this in a personal statement?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: Diversity statement topic (PTSD)?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:16 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:Sorry to hear about what happened to you, but no. You're not "diverse" within the meaning ascribed to the it by law school admissions officers. So you shouldn't write a diversity statement, period.

You could write about it for your personal statement, but sexual assault IMO is a topic that only works if done well.
Rethinking this---actually ignore my advice, IDK

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:21 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:Sorry to hear about what happened to you, but no. You're not "diverse" within the meaning ascribed to the it by law school admissions officers. So you shouldn't write a diversity statement, period.

You could write about it for your personal statement, but sexual assault IMO is a topic that only works if done well.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I don't understand, but are you saying that this would work then?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I don't understand, but are you saying that this would work then?
Sorry, I meant I actually couldn't answer this question very well, after reflecting further. My initial instinct is that straight white males should not write diversity statements, full stop? But your situation is kinda suis generis; like it might be worth contacting an admissions professional if that's financially in the cards for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”