Need some help picking a topic (I have 2 ideas) Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rsox5000

New

Need some help picking a topic (I have 2 ideas)

Post by rsox5000 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:23 pm

I'm currently torn between two topics.
1. My path to choosing law school. I used to be a pre med student, but I serendipitously stumbled upon an internship at my local Pro Bono office over winter break. I loved the internship and then interned with a local judge the following summer.
2. Achieving more than most people in my position would have. I'm from a blue-collar area (Scranton, PA) and a working class family. Neither of my parents went to college and I went to a public school. I have a 3.9 GPA from a pretty good college and I'm waiting on my LSAT (I was getting high 160's in PTs though). I'm hesitant to use this topic because I actually think I had it pretty good growing up. My parents sacrificed a lot to let me live above our means and I feel like this topic would disrespect that fact.
If anybody has any suggestions for another topic, feel free to let me know. Thank you!

pretzeltime

Gold

Re: Need some help picking a topic (I have 2 ideas)

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Easy -- #1 for PS and you can consider writing a short diversity addendum for #2.

Others can weigh in on writing DS for socioeconomic circumstances, but I believe it's done?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: Need some help picking a topic (I have 2 ideas)

Post by Mr. Archer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Topic 1 is more promising. However, you have to be mindful of how many people are pre-med and then decide to go to law school. If you didn't leave the pre-med track because the first internship convinced you of the career path you really wanted, you might not want to mention pre-med.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”