How much to disclose on C&F? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

How much to disclose on C&F?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I was arrested for shoplifting when I was 16. It was a one-time juvenile thing. Do I address it in terms of "shoplifting", or do I include the exact penal code section I was arrested under? When the DA filed my case, the charges were changed slightly. Do I indicate the exact penal code sections of this as well? And do I need to indicate if they were felony or misdemeanor charges?

The case ended up getting dismissed, so I'm confused about how specific I need to be. Not trying to avoid disclosure or anything like that, just unsure of what is important and what is superfluous.

Thanks for any help!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: How much to disclose on C&F?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:31 am

Be brief, but thorough. No need to cite specific penal code sections, but it's okay to do so.

Consider: I was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor shoplifting when I was 16 years old. The charge was dismissed.

If the charge was dismissed as part of a plea bargain under, for example, a first offender statute, then that should be briefly noted. Otherwise, just state that the case was dismissed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 am

No, it was dismissed on its own accord -- no plea bargain or deferred entry of judgment.

However, though the arrest was for a misdemeanor charge, when the case was filed, a felony charge was added. How do I/should I discuss this?

Thanks so much for the help!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Depends upon what the felony charge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”