plz feel free to comment and critique Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bbg19

New

plz feel free to comment and critique

Post by bbg19 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:12 pm

post removed
Last edited by bbg19 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: plz feel free to comment and critique

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:22 pm

I would not use this as a PS. It makes you seem disconnected with reality since as you claim, "[Big Brother] was part of [your] transition from child to adult...it really helped open [your] eyes to a lot of what actually goes on in the world." This is likely not what adcomms want (though I'm simply speculating) since Big Brother is not, in fact, a lot of what actually goes on in the world. It is forcibly divisive for entertainment and rating purposes. Also, developing from online forums is another disconnectedness. It feels like you can only make connections through technology and electronic communication. Also, it doesn't really speak to your personality or accomplishments other than to the above traits, which don't place you in a professionally positive light.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:24 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:25 pm

First of all, bravo for going out on a limb and writing something that feels honest. That said, this is a very bad idea for a topic. Furthermore, if I saw this essay out of context, I would have no idea that it was part of a law school application (or an application for anything period).

Bottom line, start over. From what you've written, it sounds like there might be some potential to expand on your "coming out" story, but even that will have the danger of being cliche. Do some more brainstorming and maybe start with the question, "Why do I want to be a lawyer?" I'm not suggesting that as a final topic, but just as a starting point to look for good PS topics.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Just going to hop in here and tell you that I agree with everyone else: do not submit this.

Like Ben said, I'd focus on a skill or characteristic that will make you a good lawyer. Really sit down and think. Why will YOU be a good lawyer? What trait do you have that will help you excel in Ls and the legal field? Now, do you have a story that portrays that trait? Something that's about you. And remember: show, don't tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”