Yes / No Diversity Statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Lombardi#18

New

Yes / No Diversity Statement

Post by Lombardi#18 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Planning to submit all my apps by Dec 1st. Should I write a Diversity Statement although I have talked about my upbringing and ethnicity in my Personal Statement already? Don't want to waste an opportunity to talk about something, but also don't want to repeat myself.

Thanks

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Re: Yes / No Diversity Statement

Post by PrizeFighter » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Lombardi#18 wrote:Planning to submit all my apps by Dec 1st. Should I write a Diversity Statement although I have talked about my upbringing and ethnicity in my Personal Statement already? Don't want to waste an opportunity to talk about something, but also don't want to repeat myself.

Thanks
I'm struggling with the same question, but I've decided to write both. With this in mind, I narrowed the focus of my PS. It was all over the place when I tried to cram everything in there, and I think it came out much better when I took out a few things to use in my DS. I'm also trying to make my DS as concise as possible so the Adcomms don't feel like I'm just piling it on. I know you don't want to waste an opportunity to talk about something, but make sure it is so important that you can't leave it unsaid.

hypebeast

New

Post by hypebeast » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Like you, I felt that my personal statement incorporated what I would've discussed in a diversity statement so I didn't include a separate diversity statement. I don't think there's any point in including a separate diversity statement if your personal statement already captures what you think makes you diverse and distinct from most other law school applicants. I would only include a separate diversity statement if you're not touching on it in your personal statement so as to avoid repetition.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Yes, include a diversity statement, however brief. It's a weird check the box thing at some schools that they use for things like sending invites to minority events, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”