Why ___ vs. Same statement as other apps vs. Hybrid Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
thenewguy

New

Why ___ vs. Same statement as other apps vs. Hybrid

Post by thenewguy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 am

Hey guys,

So I am going to start drafting my PS and it is probably going to be centered around an anecdote to a time during undergrad when I was voted in a class to present a proposal for educational policy reform to a small session of the state congress. I will be back on the site when I get my ideas on paper, but the goal is to have a well written piece talking about how this experience inspired me to pursue x and do y so I can make changes to z all while sweating because I was talking to a congressman....more on this to come.

But my question is since I am applying ED to Penn, do you think I would be better off doing a "Why Penn" personal statement for Penns app only? especially considering I grew up around the area my entire life and could probably do this very well? The congressman story I am going to use for the other schools occured in the state of Michigan, so it may be hard to connect the two ideas into 1 Why Penn app, but I think with some work it can be done.

I understand you may be better able to offer advice once I have stuff on paper, which is clearly understandable, but if any of you can give input based on what I just provided, that would be very appreciated.

Thanks

TTH

Diamond

Re: Why ___ vs. Same statement as other apps vs. Hybrid

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:15 am

thenewguy wrote:Hey guys,

So I am going to start drafting my PS and it is probably going to be centered around an anecdote to a time during undergrad when I was voted in a class to present a proposal for educational policy reform to a small session of the state congress. I will be back on the site when I get my ideas on paper, but the goal is to have a well written piece talking about how this experience inspired me to pursue x and do y so I can make changes to z all while sweating because I was talking to a congressman....more on this to come.

But my question is since I am applying ED to Penn, do you think I would be better off doing a "Why Penn" personal statement for Penns app only? especially considering I grew up around the area my entire life and could probably do this very well? The congressman story I am going to use for the other schools occured in the state of Michigan, so it may be hard to connect the two ideas into 1 Why Penn app, but I think with some work it can be done.

I understand you may be better able to offer advice once I have stuff on paper, which is clearly understandable, but if any of you can give input based on what I just provided, that would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Maybe do two drafts: one, a generic draft that you can use to any school to which you apply; and two, a draft sprinkled in with some Penn-specific shit for Penn.

For instance,

I literally carry my childhood with me. On the bottom of my left foot is a jagged scar I got from stepping on a broken bottle of Thunderbird while wading in the Schuykill River. I chew my food with a crown I had to get after chipping a tooth during a fistfight on South Street. I was shaped and molded by the joys and hardships of life in South Philadelphia, and what I success I have I owe to my parents and those dedicated souls of the Furness High School faculty who managed to polish off my rough edges. Their work—and the benefits I derived from it—made me appreciate the difference education can make in a person's life. It was that appreciation that led me, a nervous 22-year-old kid who was clearly over my head, to testify before a committee of the Michigan State Legislature.

Or if you grew up amid Bucks County opulence, you talk about how your suburban teachers instilled in you a sense of responsibility to improve the lot of your inferiors. Either way, you get the idea. Good luck dooder.

thenewguy

New

Post by thenewguy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:13 pm

TTH wrote:
thenewguy wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks
Maybe do two drafts: one, a generic draft that you can use to any school to which you apply; and two, a draft sprinkled in with some Penn-specific shit for Penn.

For instance,

I literally carry my childhood with me. On the bottom of my left foot is a jagged scar I got from stepping on a broken bottle of Thunderbird while wading in the Schuykill River. I chew my food with a crown I had to get after chipping a tooth during a fistfight on South Street. I was shaped and molded by the joys and hardships of life in South Philadelphia, and what I success I have I owe to my parents and those dedicated souls of the Furness High School faculty who managed to polish off my rough edges. Their work—and the benefits I derived from it—made me appreciate the difference education can make in a person's life. It was that appreciation that led me, a nervous 22-year-old kid who was clearly over my head, to testify before a committee of the Michigan State Legislature.

Or if you grew up amid Bucks County opulence, you talk about how your suburban teachers instilled in you a sense of responsibility to improve the lot of your inferiors. Either way, you get the idea. Good luck dooder.
Thanks for the input mate. Actually got a kick out of this and the BC joke. One question still as I start to jot some things down. Is there a commonly accepted idea of what the word count can be or does ti really depend on content?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

I'd try to keep it under two double-spaced pages.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:26 pm

I'd imagine that applying ED somewhere gives a good enough indication of your wanting to attend lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”