Direct Personal Statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
abcde12345

Bronze

Direct Personal Statements

Post by abcde12345 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm struggling to write a personal statement, and I hate the whole structure and content of a traditional one--in medias res intro, story, personal discovery, etc. Are there such things as "direct" statements, statements that just say why you are applying to law school and what you hope to get out of it?
Last edited by abcde12345 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

fallen_frames

New

Re: Direct Personal Statements

Post by fallen_frames » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 pm

It depends, but my initial reaction is no.

Unless you can make a story about it that is not caught up in generalizations (which it sounds like it will be) I would say think of something else.

I feel you man, the style and structure of it sucks. But we all got to do it.

abcde12345

Bronze

Post by abcde12345 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:42 am

fallen_frames wrote:It depends, but my initial reaction is no.

Unless you can make a story about it that is not caught up in generalizations (which it sounds like it will be) I would say think of something else.

I feel you man, the style and structure of it sucks. But we all got to do it.
Yeah, that's what I suspected. It would have many generalizations, and I guess that won't let them "know me" (if you can "know" someone from a 5 minute read of their file) better.

It just seems so juvenile, and almost degrading, to have to write such a contrived thing as a personal statement. I guess there's no better way. But I don't really believe that, considering that that Harvard, one of the largest schools, takes the time to interview.

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:32 am

I once read a PS on here that was one sentence: “I want to go to law school because I am tired of driving a shitty car.” I thought it was brilliant. Dude also had like a 3.9 and a 177, so... :roll:
Last edited by PickMe! on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 am

i agree with your sentiment, but think it's risky to go too direct in your PS. i went pretty direct in my DS though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cgw

Bronze

Post by cgw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:45 pm

abcde12345 wrote:I'm struggling to write a personal statement, and I hate the whole structure and content of a traditional one--in medias res intro, story, personal discovery, etc. Are there such things as "direct" statements, statements that just say why you are applying to law school and what you hope to get out of it?
I really hate almost every personal statement I've ever read. They make me cringe. Right now I'm trying to write a sort of "This I Believe" essay. The structure so far is small paragraph about a targeted belief, personal example that will not include any dialogue, why law.

It kills me because writing is my strength and this kind of essay does not really showcase that.

math101

Bronze

Post by math101 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:50 pm

abcde12345 wrote:It just seems so juvenile, and almost degrading
Welcome to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”