Topic Discussion and feedback Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
AdviceSeeker123

New

Topic Discussion and feedback

Post by AdviceSeeker123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm a 3.94/169 applying to T14. Given my borderline LSAT, I'm hoping a strong PS will give me a little nudge upwards.

First off, other than Penn which sets a 2 page limit, is there a serious issue with writing 3 pages? At this point, my draft will be tough to trim to much less than 2.5.

Regarding topic I would love to get some feed back. I'm thinking of explaining how back in the fall of '08 I was a very serious D1 college runner until I suffered a mysterious and still-not-fully-diagnosed/understood hip/neuromuscular injury that really sent for a loop. My times in HS were solid (9:30 2mile) and in college I had really just started to click, running 95+ miles a week as a sophomore and in probably 14:45ish 5k shape. But after the sudden onset of this injury I had to - not to be overly dramatic - find meaning in my life, as I had attached much of my identity to running. Going from doctor to doctor and losing all that I had worked to build was a very low point, but I transferred to an Ivy League school and really managed to put the pieces back together so to speak by broadening my social and academic horizens beyond what fit best into my training schedule.

That's the gist anyway. Please ask any questions that might elicit some important things to add. Thanks!

Da1andOnlyPharo

New

Re: Topic Discussion and feedback

Post by Da1andOnlyPharo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:05 am

I think that is a good topic, though it will all come down to how you write it. You're a bit vague on the whole bit about broadening your social and academic horizons...I can see it being a personal growth type of personal statement but I am wondering how you plan on connecting the dots to make them thing its prepared you for the study of law?

AdviceSeeker123

New

Re: Topic Discussion and feedback

Post by AdviceSeeker123 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:36 am

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:I think that is a good topic, though it will all come down to how you write it. You're a bit vague on the whole bit about broadening your social and academic horizons...I can see it being a personal growth type of personal statement but I am wondering how you plan on connecting the dots to make them thing its prepared you for the study of law?

I am going to explain that by choosing not to dwell on the negative I explored other topics including journalism, eventually receiving my Master's from Columbia it that subject, and am hoping to go into law so I can get into venture capital and the financing of start-up media organizations. The gist is that my personal growth experience led me to a new interest that I hope to make into a career.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”