Personal Statement Editing Service Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Floria

New

Personal Statement Editing Service

Post by Floria » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Is it worth to pay someone to edit your personal statement? Which editing service firms are credible and would you recommend?

dowu

Platinum

Re: Personal Statement Editing Service

Post by dowu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Floria wrote:Is it worth to pay someone to edit your personal statement? Which editing service firms are credible and would you recommend?
Its not worth it when you can post your PS on TLS for free and have others edit it for you.

:lol:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

It depends.

If you're already a good writer and just need some tweaking and cleanup, TLS is totally qualified. (I posted my near-final essay here and got basically one solid suggestion, plus confirmation that the rest was ok.)

If you're not a strong writer but don't mind having your essay ripped apart and edited (probably with a liberal sprinkling of snark) in public, TLS will at least get you started.

If you're not sure if your essay is going in the right direction at all, TLS is a great place to get overall reactions on topic, tone and style.

If you need hand-holding through several drafts, you might luck out on TLS and catch the attention of a proofreader with some spare time, but you'd be guaranteed the attention you need by a pay service.

TLSers tend to agree, in a broad sense, on what is good and what is bad. Different people will always edit and write differently, but that's the beauty of having 25 TLSers look at your essay for free--you can get a variety of suggestions to choose from. With a pay service, you're getting one person's opinion.

I'd try TLS first. If you aren't satisfied with the results you get, you can always pay someone later.

Floria

New

Post by Floria » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks for the advise. I'll post my PS when ready. Cheers.

law_gal

New

Post by law_gal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Agreed, would probably not pay anyone, but i am now applying to grad programs and there are a number of resources (in addition to TLS) on the web. http://www.studiential.com is good, http://www.go-llm.com/7-tips-for-writin ... -statement was also helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Is there a dept at your college that assists with editing? I would hit them up too.

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm

If you have a chance asking an English teacher to have a look is also beneficial.

Some teachers do this others just refer you to the school's writing lab, but a nice email or stopping by during their office hours is worth the effort.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:35 pm

masked kavana wrote:If you have a chance asking an English teacher to have a look is also beneficial.

Some teachers do this others just refer you to the school's writing lab, but a nice email or stopping by during their office hours is worth the effort.
Credited. My favorite English prof was awesomely helpful--she would look over each draft, give me suggestions...it worked out really well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”