C&F Addendum? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MrBain_

New

C&F Addendum?

Post by MrBain_ » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:25 pm

deleted
Last edited by MrBain_ on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonR

Bronze

Re: C&F Addendum?

Post by JasonR » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm no expert on the C&F stuff, but this doesn't ask for the underlying facts of the charges like some other apps, so what you've written looks sufficient. You answered everything they asked.

On the other hand, it might look slightly less terrible to some adcomms that you burglarized a business instead of a private residence. That fact is not evident in your answer.

Also, have you never received a traffic ticket of any kind?

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:49 pm

MrBain_ wrote:January10, 2006
I pled guilty to 5 counts of 3rd degree burglary. I paid $797.50 in court cost and $4,294.72 in restitution. I was placed on supervised probation for 12 months and completed 50 hours of community service.

Will this suffice as an answer to Have you ever been CHARGED WITH or CONVICTED OF a crime of any kind (including all traffic violations and speeding tickets, except parking tickets)? Juvenile offenses must be reported. Your driving record can be requested from the DMV of the state of the offense.
If you answered "yes," include the charges filed, date, and disposition (fine, penalty, court costs, etc.) as an attachment

It seems to me to not be necessary to go into detail about what I did, only that I disclose it. Is this what people normally do or should I delve into each of the separate events and say things such as "I now know that I should not throw cinder blocks through gas station windows and take other persons candy and beer."?
Wow. My honest advice here is to talk to a professional. People on this board are helpful for somethings, but most of them are going to give you unsupported subjective advice, and probably try to get in a few zingers.

The reason they want to know this stuff is to make sure you're an ethical person, and that you can pass the bar. Burglary convictions will definitely draw questions about your character. They will likely want to know that you're not the same person anymore, and that you've grown and matured since you committed those crimes. If you joke about it or make light of it, that doesn't really do much to convince them you wouldn't do it again, or worse, do something unethical as an attorney. 2006 really isn't that long ago. Were you a minor? Like I said, this is a question for a pre-law advisor. Your case is different because your C&F issues could prove very consequential in your application process, unlike some other people on this board (myself included). You don't need some cynic's flippant commentary here.
Good luck!

MrBain_

New

Post by MrBain_ » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Wow. My honest advice here is to talk to a professional. People on this board are helpful for somethings, but most of them are going to give you unsupported subjective advice, and probably try to get in a few zingers.

The reason they want to know this stuff is to make sure you're an ethical person, and that you can pass the bar. Burglary convictions will definitely draw questions about your character. They will likely want to know that you're not the same person anymore, and that you've grown and matured since you committed those crimes. If you joke about it or make light of it, that doesn't really do much to convince them you wouldn't do it again, or worse, do something unethical as an attorney. 2006 really isn't that long ago. Were you a minor? Like I said, this is a question for a pre-law advisor. Your case is different because your C&F issues could prove very consequential in your application process, unlike some other people on this board (myself included). You don't need some cynic's flippant commentary here.
Good luck!
2006 kinda is a long time ago? I was a 17 year old senior in high school. Talking to pre-law advisor seems to be the best idea here though.

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:10 pm

MrBain_ wrote:

Good luck!
2006 kinda is a long time ago? I was a 17 year old senior in high school. Talking to pre-law advisor seems to be the best idea here though.
That's certainly useful to know. The year fly by as you get older. I'm only 28, but 2006 feels like yesterday. Just know that Lawyers are supposed to be morally and ethically sounds (contrary to what the public believes). You will need to convince adcomms of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:28 am

Agree with the other poster that talking to a prelaw advisor, if you haven't already, is definitely the way to go. Honestly, you need to find out whether or not a state bar in a state you want to practice in would even admit you after you finished law school. Third-degree burglary is a felony, right? I don't know for certain, but there are probably a good number of state bars that will not admit convicted felons to practice law. Having a law degree is in no way a guarantee of admission to a state bar once the bar exam is passed.

And while I stated that your answer addressed everything they asked for, that might well not be sufficient in your case. Just stating that you entered a guilty plea to five felony charges and fulfilled the obligations of your probation is probably not going to be satisfactory to most adcomms. Most people are probably going to have some serious questions about your character. What makes you so fundamentally different now than in 2006? Five or six years really isn't a long time when we're talking felonies and when all you've really done in that time is go to college.

You definitely need to talk to a prelaw advisor. You should also talk to the state bars of states where you would like to practice.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:53 am

MrBain_ wrote:January10, 2006
I pled guilty to 5 counts of 3rd degree burglary. I paid $797.50 in court cost and $4,294.72 in restitution. I was placed on supervised probation for 12 months and completed 50 hours of community service.

Will this suffice as an answer to Have you ever been CHARGED WITH or CONVICTED OF a crime of any kind (including all traffic violations and speeding tickets, except parking tickets)? Juvenile offenses must be reported. Your driving record can be requested from the DMV of the state of the offense.
If you answered "yes," include the charges filed, date, and disposition (fine, penalty, court costs, etc.) as an attachment

It seems to me to not be necessary to go into detail about what I did, only that I disclose it. Is this what people normally do or should I delve into each of the separate events and say things such as "I now know that I should not throw cinder blocks through gas station windows and take other persons candy and beer."?
c&f might screw you here dude even after disclosure; you gotta check whether your bar will still admit you after this.

candidate33

New

Post by candidate33 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't know if this is helpful but here is a link to an article I read with some good info: http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2009/ ... plications

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:49 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:Wow. My honest advice here is to talk to a professional.
TCR. You should call the bar association in the state where you wish to apply/practice and run the issue by some admissions people at a school or two that you do not really want to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”