Diversity statement help! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
azgirl514

New

Diversity statement help!

Post by azgirl514 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:58 am

Hi guys,

I just finished my personal statement for all schools, and it is a fairly solid one that touches on a very valuable academic/internship experience that helped inform my decision to attend law school. I have a question about the diversity statement, however.

I am a female and a minority, but not an underrepresented one. Honestly, my first instinct is that a diversity statement discussing my minority status would be completely disingenuous. While I value a lot about my background and culture, I never experienced any disadvantage because of it. I grew up in an upper middle class family, both my parents have doctorates, etc. I have been fortunate enough to travel all over the world and experience different cultures, but it hasn't informed my law school decision at all.

That being said, the one big 'disadvantage' I faced growing up was a history of family illness. Both my dad and myself have had significant illnesses that provided setbacks for our family. The thing is, I feel like every family faces challenges, and I don't want to put all this personal stuff out there when it's not strictly necessary. The illnesses did teach me something about perseverance in the face of adversity, but it sounds so cliche.

So... how disadvantageous would it be not to have a DS? I've read other posts on here that basically said "don't worry about it," but I would appreciate any feedback. I am new here and just starting the application process.
Last edited by azgirl514 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No13baby

Bronze

Re: Diversity statement help!

Post by No13baby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:57 am

If you don't feel like you have anything to write about in a DS, it's perfectly fine not to write one. Schools won't hold it against you.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:57 pm

azgirl514 wrote:That being said, the one big 'disadvantage' I faced growing up was a history of family illness. Both my dad and myself have had significant illnesses that provided setbacks for our family. The thing is, I feel like every family faces challenges, and I don't want to put all this personal stuff out there when it's not strictly necessary. The illnesses did teach me something about perseverance in the face of adversity, but it sounds so cliche.
This could work as a DS but if you don't feel comfortable with it, don't do it. Your discomfort will show through and it will seem forced. Remember, diversity statements are not mandatory so your application won't suffer if you don't include one.

beta

Bronze

Post by beta » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:13 am

i am also a minority but an over-represented one. i wrote a DS on my family's religious background (because it is a rare religion in the States) and how it has shaped my "worldview." don't think that DSs need to come off as overcoming obstacles or disadvantages. mine was positive and demonstrated how i have a unique perspective because of my religion. i think it's perfectly fine to talk about specific cultural components (you have to do it well!) if they show how you will bring an interesting perspective to the law school community.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”