Topic question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
JA2942

New

Topic question

Post by JA2942 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:47 am

I'm beginning to write the first draft of my PS and I'm having some trouble picking a topic. I've always been extremely interested in sports, and I recently spend 9 months interning for a global sports agency in the basketball department. I had a chance to do some really interesting work through the internship and got to meet and work with some of the world's best basketball players. I think the experience was unlike anything that most applicants would have experienced, and I'm hoping that it may help the adcomms remember me. My question is, can I tie that into wanting to go to law school to become a sports agent? I would love to do that as a career, but am realistic enough to know the odds of that happening are slim. Will it hurt me to say that I want to work in sports if I'm applying to a T14 who may be more inclined to value big law, clerkships, academia etc.

Thanks for the help!

PinkCow

Silver

Re: Topic question

Post by PinkCow » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:03 pm

JA2942 wrote:I'm beginning to write the first draft of my PS and I'm having some trouble picking a topic. I've always been extremely interested in sports, and I recently spend 9 months interning for a global sports agency in the basketball department. I had a chance to do some really interesting work through the internship and got to meet and work with some of the world's best basketball players. I think the experience was unlike anything that most applicants would have experienced, and I'm hoping that it may help the adcomms remember me. My question is, can I tie that into wanting to go to law school to become a sports agent? I would love to do that as a career, but am realistic enough to know the odds of that happening are slim. Will it hurt me to say that I want to work in sports if I'm applying to a T14 who may be more inclined to value big law, clerkships, academia etc.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like an awesome idea. Be unique and transparent and you'll be golden.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 pm

JA2942 wrote:I'm beginning to write the first draft of my PS and I'm having some trouble picking a topic. I've always been extremely interested in sports, and I recently spend 9 months interning for a global sports agency in the basketball department. I had a chance to do some really interesting work through the internship and got to meet and work with some of the world's best basketball players. I think the experience was unlike anything that most applicants would have experienced, and I'm hoping that it may help the adcomms remember me. My question is, can I tie that into wanting to go to law school to become a sports agent? I would love to do that as a career, but am realistic enough to know the odds of that happening are slim. Will it hurt me to say that I want to work in sports if I'm applying to a T14 who may be more inclined to value big law, clerkships, academia etc.

Thanks for the help!
it might hurt, you dont NEED to say why you want to go to LS, if you can show your skills/abilities/who you are through your story then it's fine. Sounds like you have a very interesting story to tell, do it!

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:43 pm

I agree, no need to connect it to law school. If it's an interesting story that shows some good qualities about you, write it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”