World's most boring PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rinkrat19

Diamond

World's most boring PS

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:42 am

I'm not aiming for HYS or even T20, just Lewis & Clark. (3.56 LSDAS GPA & what I hope will be a high 160s-low 170s LSAT.)

-----

Removed.

----------------------

God, I hate it. But I can't think of anything more interesting to write about. No major life adversity overcome, no outstanding softs. My mom died when I was 23, but that didn't spur me to try for law school, 8 years later.

Is it "meh, good enough," or not even that? (Honestly, I'm just hoping to achieve mediocrity at this point. I loathe this entire PS requirement with the heat of a supernova.)

[EDIT] I thought of adding some brief little anecdotes about growing up granola (quite literally, as most of the specifics I can remember from early childhood revolve around the health food from the co-op my mother helped run when I was little), but I'm not sure if they'd add anything useful beyond making my parents sound even more like raging hippies.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adjudicator

Silver

Re: World's most boring PS

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:48 am

Well, I can only speak for myself and I'm just a 0L. But I like it, it seems down to earth and genuine, to me, and coherently written. I think Lewis & Clark will like it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 am

CHANGE: The word "promised" as law schools are very concerned about lack of employment for their graduates. "The entry level jobs we were promised as freshmen..."

Overall, this is a well done personal statement. I found it to be genuine, convincing & overflowing with maturity.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:56 am

Adjudicator wrote:Well, I can only speak for myself and I'm just a 0L. But I like it, it seems down to earth and genuine, to me, and coherently written. I think Lewis & Clark will like it.
Hey, coherence is good! :D Thanks.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:57 am

CanadianWolf wrote:CHANGE: The word "promised" as law schools are very concerned about lack of employment for their graduates. "The entry level jobs we were promised as freshmen..."

Overall, this is a well done personal statement. I found it to be genuine, convincing & overflowing with maturity.
Very good point, thanks. I'll rephrase something there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:01 am

I concur with Adjudicator and CanadianWolf's sentiment. It's appears to be quite genuine and is very focused on a single issue that is well developed.

Also, I take this opportunity to repeat what regulars here have had to say often that it's become a reflex; you don't need to have to overcome some major life adversity to write a strong PS. You just need to show (utilizing good writing techniques) the adcomm's a piece of who you are - I think this PS is proof of that.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:35 pm

If you got a low 170s LSAT why would you go to L&C???

Also, if you are set on L&C and got a 170 LSAT, they'd give you a full ride even if you sent your PS in crayon.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:45 pm

existenz wrote:If you got a low 170s LSAT why would you go to L&C???

Also, if you are set on L&C and got a 170 LSAT, they'd give you a full ride even if you sent your PS in crayon.
hah - a PS in crayon! You wouldn't even have to bother writing a PS - I would probably just write "I like you, do you like me? Circle yes and accept me if you do."

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:31 pm

existenz wrote:If you got a low 170s LSAT why would you go to L&C???
I live here and work full time, and I'm not going to move or quit my job. So L&C it is.
existenz wrote:Also, if you are set on L&C and got a 170 LSAT, they'd give you a full ride even if you sent your PS in crayon.
That's what I'm hoping! (For both the 170 and the scholarship money). :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”