Criminal past disclosure Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
NinjaWalrus

New

Criminal past disclosure

Post by NinjaWalrus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Just looking for some advice on my disclosure statement. This is a super rough draft, all critiques are welcome. My main goal is to ensure I disclose everything. I don't want anything coming back to haunt me.

On July 4, 2006 I was arrested for DUI while returning from a party at a nearby lake. I have no excuse for this lapse of judgment. I was arrested again for DUI on September 16, 2006 while riding a four wheeler on a golf course. I was also cited for destruction of private property and vandalism. After these two incidents I knew it was time to turn my life around. I began searching and one night I found the way, religion. I became very active in my local church after completion of my probation. I completed my degree in the fall of 2007 and everything was going great. During the summer of 2008 I was the driving a van on the way to church camp. I dropped my cigarette, and while trying to retrieve it, I hit the back of another church van. The police arrived shortly after to work the accident. Upon further investigation they detected the odor of marijuana on me and in the van. I tried to explain that one of the campers, Tommy Freed, tricked me by telling me it was a cigarette. The police stated that Tommy being only 12 and me being 24 I was responsible. I was placed under arrest and subjected to further tests. It was later discovered that I had a Blood Alcohol Content of .24. I had only had a couple of beers and a bourbon and coke that day, so I knew the test was flawed. I hired a lawyer and was eventually released on bond. I was super pissed at Tommy for not accepting blame, and putting me in the position of getting a third DUI, which is a felony in my state. I left several messages on Tommy’s voicemail the night I was released. I later learned from my attorney that leaving threatening messages is bad, especially when involving a minor. Luckily, I was staying with a friend so the police were unable to pick me up immediately on the warrant that was issued. The next day I hid in the bushes by Tommy’s house and confronted him when he returned home. I won’t get into who won or lost the fight, but let’s just say he looked worse than I did. Although his friends went around telling everyone I lost, which is not true. I admit I was on the ground at the end, but if the cops would not have arrived so fast I would have definitely got up and probably round-housed him or something (I took Karate for a summer when I was 9). But I digress; the end result was another felony charge and a short stint in a mental health facility. I was sentenced to two years in prison and required to see a counselor for the duration of required probation. I completed one year and was released for good behavior. I have continued my counseling sessions and have stayed on all my prescribed medications, even though I don’t need them. I feel that my unique experience with the law could be an asset to any law school. I am anxiously awaiting your decision on my application.

Grizz

Diamond

Re: Criminal past disclosure

Post by Grizz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:02 pm

lulz IBTL

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Eh, not very funny.

hefox

New

Post by hefox » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:04 pm

is this a serious thread?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:05 pm

hefox wrote:is this a serious thread?
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 pm

bk187 wrote:Eh, not very funny.
You are incorrect sir. the 'pissed at Tommy' line made this superior to most flame.

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:08 pm

So sad. (The humor attempt, not the addendum.)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
bk187 wrote:Eh, not very funny.
You are incorrect sir. the 'pissed at Tommy' line made this superior to most flame.
Hmm, I may have to revise. I didn't get that far but the phrase "super pissed" is most excellent.

hefox

New

Post by hefox » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 pm

if this guy is serious I highly doubt he would ever past the c&f exam. Now of course there are always exceptions, but my advice: don't bother applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:15 pm

hefox wrote:if this guy is serious I highly doubt he would ever past the c&f exam. Now of course there are always exceptions, but my advice: don't bother applying.
?!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Well, I'll admit that I laughed a bit. What made you decide that this was worth spending your time on?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”