GPA addendum PLEASE critique!!! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Wustlmike19

New

GPA addendum PLEASE critique!!!

Post by Wustlmike19 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 am

delete
Last edited by Wustlmike19 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

theanswer

New

Re: GPA addendum PLEASE critique!!!

Post by theanswer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:15 am

The problem with this addendum is that it is too vague.

If I were you I would take a second and consider what this addendum would look like in the larger context of GPA addendums (people who experience death in the family, get sick, etc.). From the vague language you use in this your coming out experience does not seem dramatically different from a typical GLBT applicant, and I personally do not think a (typical) coming out experience is enough of a reason to write an addendum.

Of course you could always elaborate on why your situation is unique/different. Other than that, there is nothing written in this addendum that could not be adequately summed up in an engaging diversity/personal statement.

Please do not take this post the wrong way. I mean think about it--any GLBT applicant could probably take this addendum, change a few words/phrases around and have his/her very own addendum to send out. Would it be fair to give every person who came out in college a break in the admissions process?

Wustlmike19

New

Re: GPA addendum PLEASE critique!!!

Post by Wustlmike19 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks for the advice,

I could definitely be more specific about things that happened that lead to my emotional state. I didn't do it in this draft because I was scared it would be to long. If I add 2-3 sentences would that still be ok in terms of length?

I have another subject for my DS, and this is the reason my grades early in college were not where I wanted them to be, so I wanted to explain that.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”