Immigration PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
zozin

Gold

Immigration PS

Post by zozin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Would a PS focused on the process of my emigration to the United States, and how I've helped people with their immigration cases while in college, be too cliche?

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Re: Immigration PS

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:45 pm

zozin wrote:Would a PS focused on the process of my emigration to the United States, and how I've helped people with their immigration cases while in college, be too cliche?
I don't think it would. While there are quite a few PS written similar to that vein, if you actually have experience helping others I think that would balance out with any cliche you might have. The fact that you personally emigrated here might also work in your favor.

I would be glad to read it if you need some feedback. :)

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:46 pm

you had a Ppenn avatar last - I assumed you got into Penn this cycle.

oh the internet and it's cloak of deception.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:you had a Ppenn avatar last - I assumed you got into Penn this cycle.

oh the internet and it's cloak of deception.
No. I was sporting the tar in order to get more interesting for Penn, since there was a thread discussing the least talked about T14 program. I'm apply this fall, and yes I am considering Penn.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Nobody?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:07 pm

I think it would be pretty awesome if you tied your immigration story into your desire to learn about and work in the field.

Imagine telling your immigration story, then talking about the current state of affairs (the whole Arizona Nazi statute), then just basically saying that although you don't know the answers to such difficult issues, your experiences, combined with the current state of the immigration issue in the us, gives you an unique interest in and desire to contribute to desire to contribute to that area of the law.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

hombredulce wrote:I think it would be pretty awesome if you tied your immigration story into your desire to learn about and work in the field.

Imagine telling your immigration story, then talking about the current state of affairs (the whole Arizona Nazi statute), then just basically saying that although you don't know the answers to such difficult issues, your experiences, combined with the current state of the immigration issue in the us, gives you an unique interest in and desire to contribute to desire to contribute to that area of the law.
That's actually a good idea, but wouldn't the adcoms see through the smoke and mirrors if you were completely bullshitting about wanting to do immigration law?

JoyceL1986

New

Post by JoyceL1986 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:21 pm

zozin wrote:Would a PS focused on the process of my emigration to the United States, and how I've helped people with their immigration cases while in college, be too cliche?
Cliche? how so? How many American students do you know that help out immigrants with their naturalization? Sounds like a unique story to me.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 pm

I'd want to read about it. It all comes down to execution in the end though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”