Please Critique Addendum! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jdubb990

Bronze

Please Critique Addendum!

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Ticket Addendum
On March 22, 2006 a friend and I were sitting in a parked car at a local shopping mall parking lot. Earlier in the day we drank beer and several of the empty beer bottles were in the vehicle. I threw one of the empty bottles out of the open window of the car, and a nearby police officer responded. I was given three citations: littering, open container, and possession of beer by a minor. The officer offered to drop the minor in possession of beer charge if I was honest with my parents about the charges and had one accompany me in court.
I appeared before a judge seven days later on March 31 to face these charges. Because I was honest with my parents and my mother accompanied me to court, the officer and judge found me not guilty of possession of beer by a minor. I was assessed fines for the other two charges, and paid both of them.
The event happened four years ago and I have grown significantly since. The incident made me realize how important adhering to the law is.

I am really having trouble saying something worthwhile about what I learned from the experience. to me I just learned not to break the law because It could ruin my future, such as career and everything else. But that doesn't seem good enough to include, right?

ugobabe86

New

Re: Please Critique Addendum!

Post by ugobabe86 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:11 pm

I believe you should just stick with facts and be honest about it...I think that's your best bet.

jdubb990

Bronze

Re: Please Critique Addendum!

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:30 pm

alright, well this is direct, and honest, what do you guys think? (I made a couple of changes)

Ticket Addendum
On March 22, 2006 a friend and I were sitting in a parked car at a local shopping mall parking lot. Earlier in the day we drank beer and several of the empty beer bottles were in the vehicle. I threw one of the empty bottles out of the open window of the car, and a nearby police officer responded. I was given three citations: littering, open container, and possession of beer by a minor. The officer offered to drop the minor in possession of beer charge if I was honest with my parents about the charges and had one of them accompany me in court.
I appeared before a judge seven days later on March 31 to face these charges. Because I was honest with my parents and my mother accompanied me to court, the officer and judge found me not guilty of possession of beer by a minor. I was assessed fines for the other two charges, and paid both of them.
The event happened four years ago and I have grown significantly since. From this, I learned that breaking the law can ruin my future of public service and ability to help others. Thus, I learned how important the structure of law is, and that it must be adhered to at all times.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”