Syracuse Law School Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Flybywire

New

Re: Syracuse Law School Class of 2011

Post by Flybywire » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:36 am

Yeah, I did apply for the merit scholarship. I had completely forgotten that I wrote those two essays, but I did write them. All I got was a little less than $6k in a grant, no merit scholarship at all. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I didn't submit the financial aid stuff until mid-March. Maybe I should send them an e-mail and ask for some more money. As it stands, above and beyond the grant and loans, they want me to contribute something like $30k a year out of pocket.

jeffc2011

New

Post by jeffc2011 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:45 am

Same story for me, flybywire. I submitted my financial aid stuff late and was only offered about $8k, some government loans, and I'm on my own for the rest. Attending would put me in serious financial debt, considering they estimate the yearly cost of attendance with living expenses to be around $60k. If the school was a solid T1, I might bite the bullet and go for it, but I'm really nervous about making this kind of financial commitment. I've heard mixed things about job placement for Syracuse grads. Are you going to try to negotiate more financial aid?

Flybywire

New

Post by Flybywire » Sat May 10, 2008 1:48 pm

jeffc2011, I agree -- if it was a T30 school I would seriously consider paying it. But there is no way that I am willing or able to pay $30k a year directly out of pocket to go there. Honestly I really can't understand why their tuition is so high -- it is easily $8k over the tuition of any other place I looked at (both public and private). But yeah, I've been meaning to send them an e-mail asking for additional aid, though I very much doubt they would provide anywhere near what I would be asking for. So absent that I very much doubt I will be attending there in the fall.

Mjclark3

New

Post by Mjclark3 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Is anyone still looking for a potential roommate in Syracuse. I'm a 22 yr old guy looking for anyone who is somewhat neat, another 1st yr law student would be a bonus too. I'm not really familiar with the area so I'll be taking a trip out there in a few weeks to look for a apt./house etc.. If anyone is interested let me know :)

bugskater

New

Post by bugskater » Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 pm

I've been accepted to Syracuse and am considering attending. I've lived in the 'Cuse or "Sore-excuse" for several years in the past, both as a student (SUNY ESF) and as a worker. Syracuse has its pluses and minuses, just like any place. THE GOOD: Italian food from the Aunt Josies or Antonios on the north side of town; music and bar scene; proximity to Finger Lakes & Adirondack mountains for fishing, skiing, camping etc.; inexpensive housing; decent art scene. THE BAD: crime seems to be getting worse. THE UGLY: winters. If you can't stand the cold, don't move to Syracuse. Nonetheless, I will likely move back to a city I was sure I left behind to attend law school. And moving from the west will not be easy but I know its temporary. If anyone is going to attend SU this fall and is looking for a housemate or has questions about the area, please drop me a line. Otherwise, see you in the 'Cuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

detroitrockcity

New

Post by detroitrockcity » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:30 am

So I just received my acceptance to Syracuse last week and I am seriously debating. It was my number one when applying and I absolutely loved the campus, but I don't love the debt and I am still waiting on my financial aid package. What were some of the main factors that led any of you to decide to attend Syracuse, as the other law school (the one I've already paid the deposit for) is much cheaper for me to attend, and a lot closer to friends/family.

bugskater

New

Post by bugskater » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:13 pm

Hey Detroit Rock City- I chose Syracuse because I am interested in Indigenous law issues and SU has good program for that. It is expensive though and seriously, if another one of my less expensive choices offered me a spot, I'd have to consider it. SU is a very good school overall and I expect a very good learning environment What other schools are you considering?

detroitrockcity

New

Post by detroitrockcity » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:35 pm

I narrowed it down to the University of Detroit Mercy or Syracuse. UDM is not as established as Syracuse, but they have some really innovative programs that were appealing to me. My main concerns with Syracuse are tuition and location. I'm from a small town so a bigger city like Syracuse is intimidating (I know that Detroit is large, but I'm used to the safe part and the rest of the state so it helps). Have you heard anything about Syracuse's corporate/business law program?

thanks for the feedback

bugskater

New

Post by bugskater » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:09 pm

Detroit Rock City-

Syracuse isn't very big....and it does have a small city feel to it, though it does have "big city" problems similar, though not on the same scale as Detroit. I think it has a very good corporate law program though I don't much about it.. lots of their graduates head to NYC so it must be ok. Also my sis graduated from SU 25 years ago and practiced corporate law at a big firm for many years. Good luck with your decision.

I may have a house to share with other law students. Let me know if you are interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jeffc2011

New

Post by jeffc2011 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:06 pm

Bugskater, where do law students typically live? I've been researching the area and the surrounding towns and can't make sense of the best options. A lot of the places I'm seeing immediately in Syracuse look run down and dumpy. Add the ridiculous high crime to that, and I don't see how one could be happy there.

On the other hand, rent is dirt cheap in comparison to what I'm used to. You can rent a fairly new 3-bedroom home in the suburbs with a two car garage for $900 a month--that's less than what I payed for my tiny studio in DC. Is it worth commuting to the school? What surrounding towns are cool?

detroitrockcity

New

Post by detroitrockcity » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:28 pm

I'm with jeffc2011... Where do most students live? I am researching housing (at both schools) to ensure that when I make my final decision I can act quickly. I am planning a quick trip to Syracuse in the next week or so to visit apartments and to re-visit the school. What locations would you completely avoid and which ones would be good to live at?

also, let me know about the house... but keep in mind that I have a one year old puppy so if that's a problem I understand....

thanks again

bugskater

New

Post by bugskater » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:48 pm

jeffc2011

Its true, rent is fairly cheap, and crime can be an issue is certain parts of the city, unfortunately, the University area is one of them. I'm looking for a place in the Westcott, Westmoreland Ave area, which is an area of University faculty and families- there area some nice houses in good neighborhoods there. Manlius (sp) Jamesville and Liverpool which are in and around Syracuse and are nice. A little further are Lafayette and Tully, small little bedroom communities and farms. Half an hour, nothing by city standards but a long way in Upstate winters is Cortland (college town) or Cazenovia (very nice upscale old town) and even further is Ithaca, which by some measure, is probably one of the coolest towns in the USA, but I don't want to do the one hour commute in the winter. There are good neighborhoods in Syracuse, and some old houses with real charm. Some areas that are decent are Tippery Hill, on the West Side of town, which used to be, and still kind of is, the Irish section of the city. On the northside, historically, and still to this day is the Italian section and still has really good Italian bakeries and restaurants. I'm looking to rent or buy a place and get a few other law students to share it. Still debating the location...maybe Westmoreland/Westcott area or maybe just out of town near Manlius .

jeffc2011

New

Post by jeffc2011 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks so much for this info--super helpful and much appreciated! I've heard of the Westcott area and it sounds great. Do you think that's where a lot of law students live too? I don't want to seal myself off if I live in the suburbs.

How are you going about finding students to share a place with by the way? Is SU helping at all with that aspect?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mensrea

New

Post by mensrea » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:46 am

Just got done with my 1L year there.

A lot of people live in the Westcott area which is near the campus (walking distance). The only downfall is that a lot of undergrads live there and I have heard some bad stories about parties when the weather is nice that disturb the law students.

If you are looking for an apartment, look at Clarendon Heights, Grant Village, and Nob Hill. A lot of 1Ls lived on Nob Hill and that area is very very nice. Also, Clarendon is near Nob Hill. I had a one bedroom apartment and paid about $460 plus utilities which came to about $580-600 per month.

Weather last year was not that bad, only about ten days when the weather was horrible to drive in.

Tuition is high. We've had a lot of robberies on students, mostly undergrad, walking around late at night near campus. Parking is reasonable. Anything else?

detroitrockcity

New

Post by detroitrockcity » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Mensrea-

do you feel as if the high tuition is worth it? Thanks!

mensrea

New

Post by mensrea » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:30 am

It all depends.

If you are taking out a lot of loans - be very careful if you are not near the top of the class or have serious connections. With the economy in the state it is, law firms hire less people and that means that almost all of those people will come from the top 25 law schools and not Syracuse. Also, gov't jobs will be harder to get because if the economy is bad, their funding can be cut and that means no new jobs.

If you are getting a scholarship - it is worth it.

If your parents/family are paying - it is worth it.

Other than that, be careful with ANY law school - not just Syracuse that is not a top law school.

RDB123

New

Post by RDB123 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:10 am

I transferred into Syracuse College of Law in 08'. I'm from the city and I love it here. But keep in mind that one of the reasons I came back was to be with family and friends.

I haven't started a serious internship search yet, but I can tell you that the debt/employment ratio is not worth it. A state school will land you the same job with less tuition - no question.

In terms of reputation, Syracuse does pretty well. My last summer's boss (30 years in practice) was amazed that Syracuse was ranked lower than University of Florida.

The location of the school is nice. It's located on top of the "hill" and gives you a great view during study breaks. It's also located right behind the Carrier Dome which makes for great nights during basketball games.

In terms of the facilities, Syracuse is okay. But it is still a lot better than the school I transferred from and much better than Florida State (another school I was accepted into).

In sum: Small city (don't plan on working here after graduation); Great pubs (armory square/tipp hill); Tuition is horrible; Facilities are okay; View is great and the campus is beautiful; Professors are okay (3/5 I've had this semester are great)...

I hope my 2cents was worth it. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”