Scholarship Negotiation

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Post Reply
lawschoolorbust15

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Scholarship Negotiation

Post by lawschoolorbust15 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm

So I am aware that most the negotiations include a leverage from another school. While I do have that leverage, I have already deposited at said school. What are the chances that I can negotiate post-deposit? Further, what are some other negotiations I could use other than counter offers?

Throwaway5818

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by Throwaway5818 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 pm

I wouldn't negotiate after a deposit, honestly. That's the type of move that can really piss a school off. Depositing is basically committing, and essentially threatening to renege on that commitment is a bad move.

User avatar
cavalier1138

Moderator
Posts: 7470
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Throwaway5818 wrote:I wouldn't negotiate after a deposit, honestly. That's the type of move that can really piss a school off. Depositing is basically committing, and essentially threatening to renege on that commitment is a bad move.
Pretty much this.

Also, unless your competing offer came from a WL admission, you're likely admitting to a violation of your deposit contract, which generally requires you to turn down any outstanding offers or withdraw any other open applications.

pianolesspianist

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by pianolesspianist » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Throwaway5818 wrote:I wouldn't negotiate after a deposit, honestly. That's the type of move that can really piss a school off. Depositing is basically committing, and essentially threatening to renege on that commitment is a bad move.
Wait, I'm confused.

I remember reading somewhere that it's a good idea to negotiate right after the first deposit deadline since that's when money starts to free up? Is this not the case? Cuz if so, I need to write some emails ASAP

Also, how can they expect us to commit so early when further offers will be coming in May/June?

User avatar
cavalier1138

Moderator
Posts: 7470
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:47 pm

pianolesspianist wrote:
Throwaway5818 wrote:I wouldn't negotiate after a deposit, honestly. That's the type of move that can really piss a school off. Depositing is basically committing, and essentially threatening to renege on that commitment is a bad move.
Wait, I'm confused.

I remember reading somewhere that it's a good idea to negotiate right after the first deposit deadline since that's when money starts to free up? Is this not the case? Cuz if so, I need to write some emails ASAP

Also, how can they expect us to commit so early when further offers will be coming in May/June?
Maybe this year's timeline is off because of COVID-19, but no one's ever recommended negotiating after actually making a deposit (not quite the same thing as after a deposit deadline). If you want to keep negotiating with a school after a deposit deadline, you usually need to negotiate an extension of the deadline itself. Again, almost every school includes a statement with the deposit that says you're going to turn down any outstanding offers and withdraw any outstanding applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Mjtt

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:30 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by Mjtt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:32 am

Your first deposit is not legally binding.Many admits put down a deposit and then are called off a waitlist from another institution and enroll in that school.With this pandemic and the resulting economic climate you can certainly negotiate after your deposit .Be courteous and professional.They will not rescind your offer because you are requesting more aid.What you should not do , although not illegal, is to put down deposits for several schools.

User avatar
cavalier1138

Moderator
Posts: 7470
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:55 am

Mjtt wrote:Your first deposit is not legally binding.Many admits put down a deposit and then are called off a waitlist from another institution and enroll in that school.
I know this is getting pedantic, but... lawyers.

The first deposit is not binding with regards to your attending that school or to remaining on waitlists. It often, however, is made with an accompanying statement that you're withdrawing applications (which doesn't include waitlists) and rejecting other offers. You can potentially get in hot water if you tell School A "Here's my deposit, and I'm certifying that I've withdrawn all outstanding applications and rejected all other offers" and then try and leverage an outstanding offer with School B for scholarship money.

Mjtt

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:30 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by Mjtt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Yes, that is true.I should have clarified my point, that is you can still negotiate after your first deposit as long as you are committed to that school i.e. no other deposits at other schools and withdrawal of current acceptances.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by QContinuum » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Mjtt wrote:Yes, that is true.I should have clarified my point, that is you can still negotiate after your first deposit as long as you are committed to that school i.e. no other deposits at other schools and withdrawal of current acceptances.
As cav has pointed out above, most schools require depositing applicants to promise that they'll withdraw any outstanding applications pending at other schools. It's not just, (i) no deposits at other schools, and (ii) declining any other acceptances, it's also (iii) withdrawing any pending applications that haven't received an accept/reject/waitlist decision yet.

It's generally permissible to stay on other schools' waitlists, but it's not generally OK to keep applications pending at other schools that haven't rendered any kind of decision yet.

Also, "you can still negotiate after your first deposit as long as you are committed to that school" is just generally confusing and misleading.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


antelope

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:33 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by antelope » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:40 pm

Does the school you're thinking about consider need aid? I wouldn't call it negotiation really, but if you have recent financial issues or concerns you can try to email admissions and bring this up, it shouldn't hurt since you're not bringing up another school

Mjtt

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:30 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by Mjtt » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Qcont., look up what Id Est means.Also using the words most, generally, promise , etc. are confusing and misleading.

User avatar
cavalier1138

Moderator
Posts: 7470
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Mjtt wrote:look up what Id Est means.
...oh, dear.

justsum1

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:48 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by justsum1 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Hypothetical; let's say, I get an acceptance call from Y but I'm still waiting on S. I don't like the cold and Hogwarts has got to be drafty during those dreary Massachusetts days. Again - hypothetical. Spare me the lecture on having a mental deficiency by ostensibly turning down Y... Would it be a risky move leaving them on read, just for a bit, to see if Stanford is going to offer me some extra sugar which I could then bargain? Does anyone know what that negotiation process would look like? Just curious on how you individuals think that model/method would play out? Am I being too controversial? lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
cavalier1138

Moderator
Posts: 7470
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 am

justsum1 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:06 pm
Hypothetical; let's say, I get an acceptance call from Y but I'm still waiting on S. I don't like the cold and Hogwarts has got to be drafty during those dreary Massachusetts days. Again - hypothetical. Spare me the lecture on having a mental deficiency by ostensibly turning down Y... Would it be a risky move leaving them on read, just for a bit, to see if Stanford is going to offer me some extra sugar which I could then bargain? Does anyone know what that negotiation process would look like? Just curious on how you individuals think that model/method would play out? Am I being too controversial? lol
That would be a radically different hypothetical from the OP's situation, because HYS only offer need-based aid. I don't think there are "negotiations" with those schools, but you might be able to use a discrepancy between offers to suggest that your need is greater than [school with lower offer] has calculated.

nixy

Gold
Posts: 2926
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by nixy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:08 am

Also, I’m not sure I understand the “leave Yale on read” bit. To my knowledge, Yale is like every other school and gives you a deadline for accepting an offer of admission. You don’t have to accept/decline on the spot (to my knowledge at least), and people do have the opportunity to compare aid packages between HYS. (I agree with cav that I’m not sure the negotiation process is the same - I do have the sense that the aid packages can differ slightly based on different formulas).

Also, you might well hear from Stanford before you hear from Yale.

ZVBXRPL

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:24 pm

lawschoolorbust15 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm
So I am aware that most the negotiations include a leverage from another school. While I do have that leverage, I have already deposited at said school. What are the chances that I can negotiate post-deposit? Further, what are some other negotiations I could use other than counter offers?
Do whatever is best for you. Ask them for more aid respectfully. Maybe you don't need to mention other schools, since that is more or less moot, since you deposited, and from their perspective, you're enrolling. Nevertheless..... I accepted a WL invite and was offered $0 at NYU and and appealed my financial aid award and got $20k/year Always worth a shot.

Dean X,
Thank you so much for offering me $X. I am very grateful.
I was wondering if it would be possible to consider me for additional aid or would it be possible to appeal my aid package, considering that peer school 1 offered me $X/year and (peer or not, worthwhile to mention) school 2 offered me $x year.

My financial situation is not stable. Explain why [personal family incident? Medical bill? Childhood plight/sob story? Cry them a river and throw in anything that makes you look bad that is not your fault - even if not $-related, because you'll regret that you were polite after you see your bill after three years. Back whataver you say up with hard proof - bank statements, laters from clergy, financial statements, etc. What will happen is a committee will take a look, so you have an opportunity to sway them..].

Thanks so much for your time,
--


edit: You don't need to mention open offers. Stress that you received offers. doesn't mean they're open, but you just want to show them your worth. And yes WL might be different, but one is allowed to appeal at all stages of the game.

justsum1

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:48 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Post by justsum1 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:28 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 am
justsum1 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:06 pm
Hypothetical; let's say, I get an acceptance call from Y but I'm still waiting on S. I don't like the cold and Hogwarts has got to be drafty during those dreary Massachusetts days. Again - hypothetical. Spare me the lecture on having a mental deficiency by ostensibly turning down Y... Would it be a risky move leaving them on read, just for a bit, to see if Stanford is going to offer me some extra sugar which I could then bargain? Does anyone know what that negotiation process would look like? Just curious on how you individuals think that model/method would play out? Am I being too controversial? lol
That would be a radically different hypothetical from the OP's situation, because HYS only offer need-based aid. I don't think there are "negotiations" with those schools, but you might be able to use a discrepancy between offers to suggest that your need is greater than [school with lower offer] has calculated.
Thank you for the thorough explanation. I was oblivious to those points. New here - really do appreciate your time. Happy New Years!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply

Return to “Financial Aid”