Negotiating a Seriously Low Offer... Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Johnson1031

New

Negotiating a Seriously Low Offer...

Post by Johnson1031 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:15 pm

Last edited by Johnson1031 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fliptrip

Gold

Re: Negotiating a Seriously Low Offer...

Post by fliptrip » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Not too sure how UNLV thinks, but on its face Penn State wouldn't offer much leverage, because most people would not be choosing between those schools (and it makes me wonder in general why you're considering both of them, as they are both regional schools). Also, I assume Penn State's offer is for full-time. I think that schools are not typically generous with scholarship aid for part-time programs because they figure that since you're applying part-time you have something that's binding you to the school/area and you just don't have that many choices.

All that being said, you have to work with what you have, so I would throw PSU and CU at them and see what they do. Also, as long as you're respectful and professional in the exchanges, you should not burn bridges. If UNLV gets mad at you for trying to optimize your circumstances, you should consider that a helpful warning that keeps you from attending.

psu2016

Bronze

Post by psu2016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Just chiming in here re: Penn State.

OP, do NOT rely on Penn State's LRAP. They didn't accept any new people this year for LRAP, and those who do get in get virtually nothing. Remove this consideration from your analysis.

Carry on.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:38 pm

CU is a better school at a better price. It's also in Colorado. Do you prefer Nevada to Colorado?

Johnson1031

New

Post by Johnson1031 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:54 pm

[...
Last edited by Johnson1031 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnson1031

New

Post by Johnson1031 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:00 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:CU is a better school at a better price. It's also in Colorado. Do you prefer Nevada to Colorado?
Actually, its kind of a toss up. I'm in a spot where my husband can work anywhere so both are preferable in that respect. COL in Colorado is higher, but public schools are better for the kids, and CU Boulder is a much better school. We have roots in NV so it's more convenient to stay, but since the public schools here are awful I applied to part time so I could keep my current job and offset some of my kids' educational costs. I'm beginning to think that is what messed me up after it was mentioned above.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”