Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Post Reply

Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:39 pm


Post by 123455678 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:00 pm

I need some help with this FAFSA. I do not have a tax return (W-2) and I am considered an independent. It requires a tax return so I literally have no clue what to do. Should I just not file a FAFSA? ANY advice is appreciated. Only one of the schools I am sending the FAFSA to requires parent info, the other seven do not.


Posts: 1103
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:52 pm


Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am


Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:10 pm

A W2 is not a tax return; it's a wage and tax statement, which tells you how much you made and how much tax you paid so you don't have to keep track all year. You use the numbers on it when filling out your tax return.

A tax return is a 1040 (probably 1040ez in your case), which you can and should still fill out even if you didn't get a W2.

Post Reply

Return to “Financial Aid”