BU Question about financial aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
SJJM

New

BU Question about financial aid

Post by SJJM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 pm

I have not heard about merit scholarships yet after my acceptance from BU. I filed the Fafsa (my portion and my parents portion). I will be paying for LS myself but my family's assets will probably disqualify me from getting financial assistance. The need access form is very involved and my parents feel it is not going to help me if they fill it out. Will BU still consider me for a merit scholarship if the need access form is not filed? I feel that my numbers and softs are very decent.I know I don't qualify for aid so I guess the real question is..do I have to submit need based forms at BU to be considered for merit?

knotoftoads

New

Re: BU Question about financial aid

Post by knotoftoads » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 pm

No you dont, but I would anyway. I went to BU for admitted students day and during the forum on financial aid, they said especially if you are 24 or over they look at your parent's as a "possible" financial resource. It would not totally disqualify you. They said they know its different than undergrad. I mean it can't hurt to try, right?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:46 pm

The best people to ask are the financial aid officers at BU. I was in the same spot for NYU - only interested in merit aid. They had an internal form I could fill out that was simpler and did not ask for my parents' information. I did not have to fill out Need Access.

SJJM

New

Post by SJJM » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am 21 and Boston probably will relate me to my parents assets. I think the advice about an internal form would suit me better. I am only interested in a merit award and feel that all else filed is not a representation of my future reality (paying for LS entirely by myself) I'm just hoping that I can grab a little assistance.

lalu

New

Post by lalu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:52 pm

SJJM wrote:I have not heard about merit scholarships yet after my acceptance from BU. I filed the Fafsa (my portion and my parents portion). I will be paying for LS myself but my family's assets will probably disqualify me from getting financial assistance. The need access form is very involved and my parents feel it is not going to help me if they fill it out. Will BU still consider me for a merit scholarship if the need access form is not filed? I feel that my numbers and softs are very decent.I know I don't qualify for aid so I guess the real question is..do I have to submit need based forms at BU to be considered for merit?
Originally I was hoping to get some merit scholarship because I thought I wouldn't get any need based scholarship (due to my parents information on NeedAccess). To my surprise I got $20K/year in the mail the other day for need based. I haven't heard anything about merit based scholarship yet...even though I think I should be able to get some with my numbers/softs.

knotoftoads

New

Post by knotoftoads » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:38 pm

lalu wrote:
SJJM wrote:I have not heard about merit scholarships yet after my acceptance from BU. I filed the Fafsa (my portion and my parents portion). I will be paying for LS myself but my family's assets will probably disqualify me from getting financial assistance. The need access form is very involved and my parents feel it is not going to help me if they fill it out. Will BU still consider me for a merit scholarship if the need access form is not filed? I feel that my numbers and softs are very decent.I know I don't qualify for aid so I guess the real question is..do I have to submit need based forms at BU to be considered for merit?
Originally I was hoping to get some merit scholarship because I thought I wouldn't get any need based scholarship (due to my parents information on NeedAccess). To my surprise I got $20K/year in the mail the other day for need based. I haven't heard anything about merit based scholarship yet...even though I think I should be able to get some with my numbers/softs.
exactly, doesn't hurt to try. But anyway, it said in my acceptance letter no further action was required for merit based aid as you are automatically considered upon applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”